1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Feedback on First Desktop Build!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by touchtoplay, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. touchtoplay

touchtoplay Thread Starter

Hello!

As the title states, this is going to be my first build, and the desktop will primarily be for gaming. My budget is $1000 - $1200. This is my proposed setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($123.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($117.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1096.56
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-07 12:36 EDT-0400

I'm pretty new to this stuff and only have very general/basic knowledge on the subject. So far I've only bought the CPU, but I really want some feedback on the choice of mobo (this especially), RAM, and the system as a whole before I go out and buy the other parts. The GTX 970 is something I want for certain, but I'm just uncertain about the different models and how they compare. Every other part not listed on there I've already accounted for (e.g. OS).

I'm not planning on overclocking or using SLI now but want the option to be available when I decide to go that route in the future. If you need to know anything else, let me know. Thanks!

2. replay

replay

Looks like a great system.......the mobo doesn't have very good reviews on newegg so might want to have a look at some different boards.......stay with gigabyte tho

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

and I would deffently go with 16 GBs of system memory-----
    you could change the memory speed down to 1866--
    unless you are video editing the higher speed memory frequency won't
    do you any good.
    Linus on Youtube (Linustechtips) has a video where they bench mark system memory
    while gaming----the frequency difference from 1600mhz to 2400mhz made little if any deference
    to the game results on the bench test--

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Looks pretty good however I would change two items;
    Motherboard. Gigabyte is fine however you want one of the UD series boards. I assume you intend to game with the system so you need a board designed for the stress of gaming. Here is a better choice;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128707

Next the mech hard disk. The blue series is the low end from WD. Spend the extra few $ and get a black series drive. The black drives are better built with dual motor supports and dual processors AND the fact that black drives have a 5yr warranty vs the 2yr warranty of a blue drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice