1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Feel the Power... (Win 7 author software question)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by etherdose, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Ok

With all the damned problems with authorship and ownership and sharing in Windows 7, is there some kind of program that tweaks the settings for you or is an easier way to set everything to be allowed? My computer is a one user computer and I am not worried about anything having 'authorization'. I already turned off everything and checked everything and I still have issues. Is there some program out there for Win 7 that maybe resets everything or simplifies this erroneous setup that Windows 7 has? Sure ...many of you will argue that it is innovative, secure....etc. Um, no it's NOT! Lol... No one is getting onto my router and getting into my files, so what can i do in a simple step by step to make myself open enough to be able to delete whatever I want off my own desktop? Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is nothing "erroneous" about 7's setup or security. And, no, there is no way to allow anyone to do absolutely anything ahead of time. That would be a playground for malware and hackers.

If there is something specific that you are having a problem with, we may be able to help.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I think what you want is to disable user account control. Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts. Click on your account name and then click 'Change User Account Control settings'. Move the slider all the way down to 'Never notify', then click OK.

4. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Yes

I already did that. I already slide it all the way to the right. Besides...what if I don't want to have Microsoft managing my little sandbox to keep out malware? Let's pretend that I already have 3 programs to do so that run fine, and they don't play Nazi with my hard drives like the Windows 7 setup seems to want to. Xp didn't run like this, and I like everything about Windows 7 except this big issue. There is only one user on this computer...and it is an admin with admin rights....so why in the hell do I have to keep getting rights when I have already selected an admin account? Am I doing something wrong? I have follow all the guides that I found on google about 'setting ownership'....but did I follow the wrong guides? Is there something maybe corrupt about my setup to where I cannot write to the C drive at random times...and seconds later I can? It's very frustrating....and I appreciate your input.

5. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    As Elvandil said. You may have to be a little more specific. In which area is it asking for rights, as you appear to have disabled the security options.
    Perhaps you would be happier using the "Global" Administrator account? If so, there are a couple of ways:

Open a command prompt (Run as Administrator).
    Type the following command and enter.
    net user administrator /active

Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.

Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
    Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
    Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
    Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
    Log out and log back in as administrator.

Another way

Go to Start
    Type Control UserPasswords2.
    Click Advanced.
    Click Advanced again.
    Select Users.
    Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
    Now log out and login as Administrator.

The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

6. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    AWESOME! This worked and it worked big time. One last question....if I rename the Admin account into anything else will it ruin it or will it remain true? When I installed Win7, it asked me "would you like to make your new account, Etherdose, an Admin?" I said yes, but still all this crap happened. Should I just leave it Admin or will it be ok to rename it something?

7. bbearren

bbearren

You can rename the account. Logon that account. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts and click on "Change your account name".

8. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    LOL

Damn it. Well..it sort of worked. It allows me to tinker with the external drives which is great, but it won't let me save downloaded things to my desktop. Jeeez

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

No one has all the permissions. The administrator is restricted many activities, and that will always be true. Policy can be edited in many cases, on a activity-by-activity basis. But there are many things that the administrator is never allowed to do.

Running as administrator means that malware can spread quickly to all parts of your machine. Be sure you have good backups and a good firewall so your private information doesn't go to black market sellers.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice