1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Feeling the Pinch at Your Pump?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by angelize56, Feb 13, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

Eek! Regular unleaded when I went to get gas today was $1.77 a gallon!!! I felt like I was being robbed and taken advantage of! How are the prices where you live? And some stations here in Michigan had premium for over $2.00 a gallon! Take care. angel :)

Feb 13, 4:47 PM EST

<b>AAA Says Gas Prices'Close' to Gouging</b>

By MITCH STACY

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- The recent spike in gasoline prices isn't justified and is getting "uncomfortably close" to gouging, a AAA spokesman said Thursday.

The price of a gallon of regular gasoline has risen about 13 cents in less than two weeks to a national average of $1.633 - the highest since June 2001, according to the automobile association.

The industry has blamed tensions in the Middle East and a strike in Venezuela that has crippled that nation's petroleum industry. Venezuela is one of the largest exporters of crude oil to the United States.

AAA spokesman Geoff Sundstrom said nothing has occurred in the market to warrant the increase, and suggested oil companies are looking ahead to what could happen to crude oil prices if the United States invades Iraq.

The organization urged the industry to show restraint and said it "stands ready to support government action against companies that unfairly profit from any future national emergency."

John Felmy, chief economist at the American Petroleum Institute, which represents the U.S. oil industry, said any suggestion of price gouging is "inappropriate."

He said retail gas prices are simply tracking the rising cost of crude oil. The wholesale price of a barrel of light sweet crude was $36.10 Thursday, up from $33.67 on Jan. 31.

"This is a market that moves," he said.

AAA is the nation's largest auto club with more than 44 million members.

2. marioh

marioh

Last time at the pump (Saturday), it was 1.89 a gallon for ultimate.

Only the best for my car. :D

3. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    We're around 1.59-1.69 for regular, depending on how far you want to travel to get it.

4. n2gun

n2gun

Call it "Pump Shock"
    February 13, 2003 12:00 am

The Associated Press,
    WFLS News
    The average price of a gallon of self-serve gas is up to $1.56 cents in Virginia. That's up 15 cents per gallon over the past month.
    A spokesman for the American Automobile Association says the increase is primarily because of industry fears of a possible war with Iraq and the threat of terrorist attacks targeting the oil industry.

The continued loss of oil and gasoline shipments from Venezuela is also a factor.

Some of the lowest gas prices can be found in Roanoke, where gas can be pumped at $1.51 per gallon.

Virginia is still below the national average of $1.62 per gallon.

5. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

You can go <a href="http://www.gaspricewatch.com/USGas_index.asp"> here</a>, enter your zip code and a radius in miles to obtain prices at stations in your area. Go <a href="http://www.gaspricewatch.com/CanadaGas_index.asp"> here</a> for Canadian prices. :) Take care. angel

6. $teve

$teve

my goodness you poor darlings........you are hard done by.................I DONT THINK:p

try paying around 8 dollars a gallon...........thats what it is over here.........sucks a little dont it?;)

7. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

buck 68 here!

8. puter hater

puter hater

Well Steve you brought us back to reality. I will not whine with $1.69 (it's gone up sense then)

puter hater

9. maxximilian

maxximilian Guest

I have to admit when I opened this thread from Angel...with a title that included feeling, pinching, and pumps...well.......let's just say I was prepared for anything...LOL :D

$1.59 a gallon around here for regular unleaded.... ;)

Good thing I drive a Honda and put off that crazy idea of buying a gas-guzzling Mustang GT this year....:rolleyes:

10. combsdon

combsdon

...$1.59 regular unleaded and my wife drives an Expedition......but that's okay cause GW will probably be givin' us a tax cut......;)

11. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

LOL and maxx is a quick study... *grin*

12. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Pinching? Pumping?

Closing duplicate. PLease post in Flirting thread!

:D

13. jakoval

jakoval

Regular gas just hit 79.9ยข (Canadian) per litre here today. Works out to about US$1.92/us gallon.

Funny how when a crisis hits, the price at the pumps jumps almost immediately, but when crude prices drop, they say it will take 6 months or so for the effect to trickle down through the system. :rolleyes:

14. Rep

Rep

Gas is about $170 a US gallon when I filled up yesterday. Will have to fill up tommorrow as well.

OK, I hear a rumor we are at war. Now, we can't just think we can lollygag through a war without some personal pain on the homefront, can we?

Yes, our supplies are down. Combination of a switch to home heating fuel, reduction in production in Venezualla (SP?) Probably less gas production facilities etc. I believe consumption is up as well.

We could blame it on price gouging by the oil companies maybe. That happens with some commodities during wartime as I understand.

Solution for me? Well, my vehicle only gets 26MPG. If I got 52MPG gas would only cost $.85 a gallon at the above rate. Hmmm...Anybody drive a Toyota Privia? Do you like it?

15. n2gun

n2gun

Those electric cars are looking better all the time.:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice