1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Feline FIP

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by dotytech, Sep 10, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. dotytech

dotytech Thread Starter

Hello everyone.... It's been awhile, but things have been tough. My little boy (kitten of 4 months old) has been quite ill, running the following symptoms:

1. Started with sniffles, sneezing and wheezing

2. Eyes became runny, #1 continues

3. Got better and was acting like a little sh** again (still love the terd)

4. Took him (Domino) into the vet for vaccination

5. Two days later, he crashed, 104 fever and sleeping constantly

6. 2 days later still no change from #5, take back to vet

7. Vet gives clyndamiacin

8. Fever persists and now has broken blood vessels and irritation of left eye, much sleeping

9. vet says try these eye drops and continue clyndamiacin

10. two days ago, vet says the in 5 days if not better, will need to put him to death.....

11. Dan (Dotytech) cries heart out

point of the story... FIP not good... keep an eye on your little guys/gals and take em in to the vet if sick... they do help once in awhile. :(

2. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

I'm very sorry to read about your poor kitten, Dan

Is there another vet you can take him to?
    I have a link that you may want regarding cat diseases and ailments, but didn't want to post it if you weren't interested.
    PM me if you'd like it.
    Take care

Carolyn

3. celticsong22

celticsong22

I'd be interested, Carolyn! My cat Squeegee has kidney problems among other things, and lately has been battling sneezing, wheezing and chronic problems in his left eye. My vet does pretty much the same thing...antibiotics and eye drops which help but never seem to actually clear up the problem. He's never mentioned putting him down, though.

I'd get a second opinion, if I were you, Dan. Squeeks was supposed to die years ago, and lives on pain meds, but has a normal life and is quite happy. As long as I can keep him pain free, I'll try to keep him alive and as well as he can be.

Don't give up w/o a fight! In January, I had to put my old girl, Noelle, to sleep. She was around 18 and I'd had her for over 16 years. When she was young she got very sick and nearly died. I had to force feed her as she refused to eat on her own for a week. The vet said it was probably a cold, but it seemed more like some kind of distemper. She recovered and lived nearly 16 more years! At the end, she refused to die and even after the vet injected her, she fought to stay alive! She breathed her last after he said she was already dead and looked at me as she coughed out her last bit of air in my arms. They are tougher than you'd think and worth fighting for. I'll be praying for your baby.

4. valley

valley

Dan :( Sorry about Domino. Clydamiacin is awfully strong for a kitten :eek: My son was on it for an antibiotic resistant strep infection and the side effects are horrible. Severe vomiting and stomache bleeding are just two of them. It is extremely harsh on the system because it is such a powerful antibiotic. I am surprised to see that a kitten is taking it, the poor baby! He must be so sick. :( I hope he pulls out of it. Let us know what happens with him, ok?

*hugs*

5. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

6. celticsong22

celticsong22

What's the latest, Dan? We care!

7. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Dan: So sorry to hear about Domino's illness! :( I hope the kitten gets better! Losing a pet is very hard as we all know!! Take care! angel

8. dotytech

dotytech Thread Starter

Well, Little Domino is making it tough on his daddy... He is being so needy, but isn't doinf much better. All he does is sleep. He eats a little bit, drinks a little bit and then goes right to sleep. His eye looks 100% better, but he's still not alert. He has until Friday before the vet recommends his doom. Being as it's my baby boy, I of course, find it DIFFICULT to even think about this day, as he still purs, looks at you lovingly, but the poor little guy has no energy, no strength. . I am only hoping that he'll get better.

Clyndamiacin is strong for a kitten, but it's a strong disease I guess... we shall see.

Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers

9. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

The baby is eating and drinking... that's a good sign. (y)

Sleep is the best thing for him until he's feeling 100% again.

Hang in there Dan!

10. celticsong22

celticsong22

If he's not suffering, don't rush the doom, Dan. My kitty, Squeegee has been on torbutrol- a pretty potent pain killer- for years. He has all the symptoms I read about in the link Carolyn has and by rights should have died years ago. He has a good, normal life 95% of the time as long as he gets his meds, though. He just had the eye thing while we were evacuating from the hurricane, but recovered after a few days and one application of Neomycin drops.

Also, if I'd rushed to put my cat Noelle down when she had a virus as a youngster, I would've missed out on 16 years with her! I almost lost her then, but when I finally DID lose her, I knew she wouldn't have made it without me and that sometimes they have the heart to live but need help to do it. Give God a little time to answer the prayer. You just might be pleasantly surprised. In any case, I'll be praying...for you BOTH.

11. dotytech

dotytech Thread Starter

Thank you all for your support.

Domino
    Put to rest 10/04/2004, may he pounce in joy.. He will be GREATLY missed.

12. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    Awww... Dan... Im so sorry :(

Im still not over crash and its been over 2 months

*pounce* see if that helps.. just a lil :)

13. fredman

fredman

oh jesus I wish I would have seen this 5 days ago......

One of my boys had the same symptoms, He was fine at 7 p.m. one night, and then about 4 hours later we heard him meowing really loud, and we were upstairs in the opposite end of the house.
    He couldn't even stand for lack of strength, just layed curled up in a ball, and meowed once in awhile. We didn't see him eat or drink. We took him to the vet the very next morning, she had him for 7 full days, and on a Saturday, nothing had changed, I was holding him, she said we had to put him down, and for the life of me I knew that was the right thing to do, I just could not utter the words to do it. Instead I said we will wait until Monday.
    I asked if there was anything at all possible we could do, even as an experiment, and she said, 'no, well maybe yes, I will give him a couple of things intended for a DOG and a dog only, since we have nothing to lose'. All tests indicated nothing wrong, he also did not have FIP. I'm about 50, and I cried myself to sleep every night, the wife thought I was nuts, but she was a wreck, too.

12 hours later at 7 a.m. on a Sunday morning the vet called me from the office, said he was up running around in seemingly perfect shape. I asked her what she gave him, she said 'nothing', but I think she did but just didn't want to say because what she gave him might have been 'illegal' to give to a cat.

That was 3-4 years ago, he's still kicking, he's 6 years old now, he does have some sort of cardio myopathy (sp?), but he's fine. $800 dollars later. I would have spent a lot more than that if I had to........

The reason I post this is for you (anyone reading) to suggest to your vet to try ANYTHING, even if intended for a dog.

14. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    Dan, how you doin? :(

15. celticsong22

celticsong22

I'm SO sorry, Dan. I'm sure you wouldn't have put the little guy down unless he was just too far gone to pull through, loving him as you did (do). I still miss my old girl, Noelle and it's been 10 months. They're like kids to a real pet lover. Do your grieving, and one day another little one will come to you looking for a home and a lap to curl up on. They're only ours on loan, anyway, and we're blessed with whatever little time we have... I'll be praying for your broken heart.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice