1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Few problems... any advice will be awesome.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mumsdollar, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mumsdollar

mumsdollar Thread Starter

hey guys Im currently experiencing a few things ill let you know what has been happening. my computer has been at a house hold where the power has been turned of multiple times over the last few months. Eg sometimes 2-3 times in one day. Now because of what has happened to the computer i have made sure this will not continue. (power off means mains switched off and on, ether while watching movies or playing games)

Here is a list in order of what has happened. I have had my computer roughly 1 year 2 months. (none of the problems accrued before)

First to go was my external hard drive started making a clicking noise sometimes able to use it and sometimes not.(this still works)
    Next thing i noticed was my usb ports started not working. (some don't work and some cut out or only work sometimes)

Now while watching movies or mucking round the keyboard and mouse will cut out. colours will appear on screen or it will glitch and i replayed the video to make sure it was not that. (its getting more frequent)

I have 15 mins max of playing nearly any demanding game before the hole system will freeze. (mostly play Bad Company 2)

Things i have done to try fix this....

Reinstalled windows (also on new hdd) tried other Graphics cards.

temps never get to high on anything it is kept well cooled. ive been monitoring it.

Tried installing new and older drivers on everything. nothing seams to fix it.

Im thinking new PSU, Mainboard, CPU and possibly ram.

What can i do? Cheers Ben.

2. fodelement

fodelement

What I would do is download memtest, http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip
    and burn it to a CD. Boot off the disc and test your ram. Do about 2 or more test, as one pass does not mean the ram is working. If it passes then you know the ram is good. If you said you already replaced the HDD with a working HDD then that is not the issue. Most CPU issues don't involve the computer freezing, but actually turning off or turning the screen black. I have seen a failing PSU cause a computer to freezes as well. Assuming you don't have a power supply tester handy, do you have an extra power supply units available? If so i would just try swapping it out for now.

Good Luck for now!(y)

3. mumsdollar

mumsdollar Thread Starter

Hey thanks! will try this. Computer did black screen last night. :0 think it had done it a few times just when i haven't been on it. There has been times where the computer will blue sceen and restart. or just turn off.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice