1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Few Problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tonytony, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonytony

tonytony Thread Starter

I have a few problems at my school this week

First may sound silly but will old publisher 98 school licenced disk work on windows XP. Mine will not even when I try the compatability wizard.

2nd I have another pc that runs windows 98 but when office 2000 is installed the clipart keeps asking me for the disk. I have run the setup disk and installed every piece of install info to run for the computer but still it keeps asking me for the cd rom.

Any help would be appreciated

2. wizzkid

wizzkid

Hi,

Here's the correct way to install Office 2000. So if ya wanna uninstall then reinstall according to this it's up to you:

Disk 1 Installation Directions:

Insert CD disk 1. The CD should start automatically, but if not click on the “Setup.exe” to start the setup.
    Once the setup starts, it will scan your machine for about 1 to 10 minutes.
    When prompted, input the CD Key. It will be 5 sets of 5 characters, combining numbers and letters. This is not case sensitive.
    Click Next and select the “I accept the terms of the License Agreement” radio button. This must be selected to proceed.
    Choose the Customize option because we want to install the entire package on your hard drive. Click Next, and Next again.
    Office 2000 will remove old versions of Office such as 97 and 95.
    Click on the gray hard drive icon on the upper middle of the screen next to “Microsoft Office”.
    Choose the second option that says, “Run all from My Computer”. After a few minutes everything below will turn white. This will install everything on your hard drive.
    The software will require that there be 393MB of space on your hard drive to do the installation.
    Click on “Install Now” and sit back and watch. The installation will take from 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending on the speed of your system, hard drive and CD-Rom drive.
    When prompted to reboot, leave the CD disk in the drive and click on the Reboot button on the screen.
    Rebooting will take a few extra minutes this time and Office2000 will finish the install. When you get your toolbar back (if you had one to begin with), the install is finished.
    The first application you start will prompt you to register. You can click on the “No” to avoid registering.

Disk 2 Installation Directions:

Do the disk 2 installation if you want MS Publisher, extra clipart, fonts and Small Business Tools, etc. Note the space necessary for Disk 2. You will need 230 Megs free after the Disk 1 install if you do not install extra clipart, 830 Megs free if you install extra clipart.
    The first 5 sections of the Disk 1 install are the same for Disk 2 install. Follow those from above.
    If you have the space to install the entire disk, click on the gray hard drive icon on the upper middle of the screen next to “Microsoft Office”.
    Choose the second option that says, “Run all from My Computer”. After a few minutes everything below will turn white. This will install everything on your hard drive.
    If you do not want to install extra clip art, click on “Office Tools”, then “Clip Gallery”. Click on the “Unavailable” option (the last option) on this pull down. This will keep clipart from installing; I don’t think you will be prompted for Disk 2 should you select clipart that isn’t on your machine. I THINK you will just not have unavailable clipart available.
    After you have made your installation selections, press the “Install Now” button.
    After the installation finishes you will be prompted to reboot your machine again. After rebooting the “MS Office2000 File Optimizer” window will open. It’s probably best to let this complete. It will take between 2-10 minutes depending on your system, hard drive size, etc.
    MS Office will then finish the installation similar to Disk 1.

Wizzkid

3. tonytony

tonytony Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I have done all this and i finally got it to work on the pc today.

I copied all the clipart from the disk to the msoffice / clipart folder in the c:\drive and it seems to work fine.

I tried it the way you said but still it would not work, I even tried a repair, re-install and even clicked the run all from my computer to make all the installation go to the hard drive.

Looks likes a hard drive has gone down today it keeps saying I have a h/d error and needs to check for errors. After running a full scan disk which takes hours it still keeps saying I have an error and need to run scandisk.

4. wizzkid

wizzkid

It may be a silly question, but is scandisk set to "Automatically Fix Errors".

Wizzkid

5. tonytony

tonytony Thread Starter

Silly Reply

Yes

lol

Typical it started up ok this morning, I think it is on its way out. I have enabled SMART in the bios anyway to see if I have a problem again

6. wizzkid

wizzkid

OK, hope everything works out....

Wizzkid

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice