1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Few Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paulyo90, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paulyo90

Paulyo90 Thread Starter

Ok, so i've got a laptop in my room and i just got guild wars. Ive been playing it on that laptop but the video card is really really bad. Is their anyway to upgrade the motherboard on a notebook? The only desktop we have is far worse than the notebook in my room. The notebook is a Winbook J1 and runs on XP.

Thanks
    Paul

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Upgrade the desktop=much cheaper.

3. Paulyo90

Paulyo90 Thread Starter

wait.... seriously?
    Ok well it runs on a PENTIUM 2. so uhm..... how much do motherboards run for usually. Does the desktop manufacturer matter? PLEASE EXPLAIN! And, are you able to upgrade JUST the motherboard on a desktop. (say go from pentium 2 to pentium 4?) without having to upgrade anything else?

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

You can upgrade but that is a very old desktop so you may want to check out a better vid card for the laptop first.

5. Paulyo90

Paulyo90 Thread Starter

thus bringing me to the question.... I have been told you are not able to upgrade video cards in notebooks. If knows anything to the contrary, please tell me and explain.

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot upgrade the video on that laptop and even if you could, its a bit too slow for gaming.

The minimum specifications for guild Wars (according to Google) is:

Windows® XP/2000/ME/98
    Intel Pentium® III 800 Mhz or equivalent
    256 MB RAM
    CD-ROM Drive
    2 GB Available HDD Space
    ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM
    16-bit Sound Card
    Internet connection
    Keyboard and mouse

While the laptop might just scrape in CPU wise it will fail in the video area.
    Bear in mind that the minimum specifications would result in an unsatisfactory gaming experience in most cases.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice