1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

few things to tune up my lappy....

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Guillermojm, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guillermojm

Guillermojm Banned Thread Starter

hey guys how is everyone out there tonight? well i hope all is well!!!

its been a while since i do a tune up on my laptop, so i figure i better get to it before it gets bad here are a few things i need i hope someone can help...

a good free registry cleaner,

(i dont know if this is possible) but when i right click an item it takes forever to show the right click menu because of all the stuff on there is there a way to remove some of the items on there? there is alot of it i dont use .

and last but not least i wonder if its possible to partition a drive without having to reformat it, can i do it now while vista is already installed?

well thanks for all the help (y)

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    I think for starters you should go below and download the HijackThis application, copy 'n paste the log file it produces and then repost here for the more switched on guys to have a look at and see where to start!!

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Registry cleaners aren't the cats mieow they are made out to be and can cause you some serious pain - been there dun that!

Go to Start and type: msconfig

Have a look under the Startup tab and uncheck any items that are not necessary. It is a bit hit and miss here sometimes but the following link will help you sort out the good from the bad:

If you do this and "something" doesn't work all that great, just do the msconfig thingo again and recheck the box of the offending entry.

This link has a lot of such entries that are applicable to laptops:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

This is quite a handly little tool as well:

http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

Also have a look at your Startup entries (Start button x Programs by Startup). It should be pretty well empty but again right click on anything that you can live without as they all load on startup. Delete it if not essential.

Guess you have run chkdisc and defrag have you?

Go to Computer, right click on your Hard Drive, then properties and then Tools. There you will see the above two actions. Defrag is pretty important to run fairly regularly but again it will not produce lightning fast results.

Sounds like you have too many applications installed and all running together to moi! Press CTL ALT DEL and select Task Manager, click on the top of the CPU and memory columns (twice) to sort them into descending order and see what is hogging your resources and/or memory. The "system idle resources" should be typically in excess of about 75-90%.

If you have a heap of entries when you right click on an item, then you have probably agreed on installation of some program for it to be included in the "shell". Lots of applications love to get in there if you let them - most you can do without quite happily! Sadly they are not that easy to remove (you can't right click on them and delete) so have to stick with them. I doubt their presence is causing you any real slowdwon in performance anyway.............. Winzip, Nortons, Unlocker are examples of but a few programs that like to inhabit the "shell".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice