1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Fiber Optic & Wireless Router - 3 Questions!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by snickert, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12196 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 918 GB (789 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 07KY25
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I will soon have access to fiber optic and do not want to rent the provider's wireless router and was told that my current router, which is a cable modem/router combo, will not work with fiber optic.

Router - In my limited knowledge of router I've chosen this one at Amazon:
    NETGEAR AC1200 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Gigabit Ethernet (R6230.
    Cable - The cable I have now: e119932 5u awm 2835 60Âșc 30v s-stp cat 7 cable copartner (this is printed on the cable)

Will this router work with my current system?
    Will my current cable work or will I need a different one to connect the router to my computer system? If I do need a different cable, any suggestions.
    What is a Wi-Fi extender?

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    To work with FTTP, it uses a Optical Network Terminal ( ONT ) not a modem. Depending upon the equipment installed and the ISP, they will either provision the ONT for internet in the premises with Gigabit Ethernet or cable. The Router will either have an Ethernet WAN port or it will be a cable connected MoCA Router.

There are cable modems that are also MoCA compliant but not many.

There are also other concerns. Chances are they will drop in a MoCA Router and will not only provide LAN addresses to the Ethernet ports but will also provide a LAN address to Cable Set Top Boxes. There are services provided such as CallerID on the TV that require this and the wrong equipment will mean loss of some services.

Therefore, you can't plan ahead. You may be able to have the ISP provision the ONT for Ethernet and use a SOHO Router if you don't plan on TV Broadcast service and only want Internet or Internet and Telephone.

The ISP may give the customer a choice. Rent the Router or purchase the Router. If that is a possibility you can buy the unit. They may have a list of Routers that are approved that work on their system.

3. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    That's a lot of useful information. Thank you!

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!