Fibre networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paul101

I am planing a run off 180 meters between my home and the yard a cross the feild so i can run the card Manchine and voip could also be puting a cctv system in at some time in the future .doing the diging and laying a swa fibre is not a problem what is,what equipment i need both ends and how it all works ie just a netgear switch with a sfd socket at each end and just plug in my router at home then pulg a netgear switch in the yard and plug what i need to run ie card machine and phone

Thank you paul

Last edited:

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What type of fiber are you laying down? Is it single mode or multi mode fiber? If it's multi mode what rating are you using? OM2, OM3, or OM4? What speed do you intend to have between locations? How far apart are they?

ETA: Never mind on the distance. Just reread your post and saw it's 180 meters. So you would only need to use multi mode fiber.

Last edited:

paul101

hi really have no idea on this as i have never worked with fibre before. I can get cable made up but the sales people i have spoken to have not been helpful on this
what is multi mode fibre ?as for speed i not sure as long as it work with what i need and what do i need at each end
ta

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You really need to talk to a company that does this for a living. You don't want to do this as a rank beginner.

I don't know if you can get pre terminated fiber cables of that length. If you can't, you're faced with having to terminate the fiber ends yourself. Not something I would tackle without actual training. I've been working with fiber for years and have fiber running in my home network. But I wouldn't tackle doing a fiber termination job. In addition to the specific skills I've mentioned, you need special tools.

Multi mode fiber is what is used predominately. There are two types of fiber thicknesses (diameter of the actual fiber) used; 62.5 micron and 50 micron. Single mode fiber uses 9 micron fiber. Most uses of multi-mode fiber is for distances of 300 meters or less. Single mode fiber picks up from there and goes to several kilometers. 62.5 micron is no longer used these days. So you should stay away from this fiber. 50 micron is used throughout and at varying quality levels as I've indicated which is OM ratings. I would get a minimum of OM3. The OM ratings dictate the quality of the fiber to support specific speeds. OM3 is good for 1 Gig and 10 Gig. OM4 will support 40 Gig. Also the cost of multi mode components is much cheaper than single mode. As an example, a 1 Gig multi mode optic will run for a couple hundred at most. A 1 Gig single mode optic will run you several hundred to a thousand dollars each. Although going single mode will provide a very good level of future proofing.

Fiber ends comes in all sorts of different connector types: ST, SC, MTRJ, MPO/MTP, and LC. The choice of connector is dictated by the optic you're going to use. For the most part LC is the predominate connector used with SFP/SFP+ optics.

You should also run more than one pair (two strands) of fiber. You don't want a situation where something happens to that single fiber and you're out of luck.

But I would highly recommend talking to a consulting company which has experience with this.

paul101

thank for your reply will try again to find a company local to me

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.