1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FIC SD11 Motherboard front panel USB connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by James Ostendorf, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James Ostendorf

James Ostendorf Thread Starter

I have an FIC SD11 motherboard with an Athlon 550MHz processor. I want to hook the front panel USB ports to the motherboard. I was able to find the USB pins on the motherboard for connecting the front panel cables but the motherboard does not give any indication as to what each pin is. The power panel connections the motherboard on the other hand are clearly labeled.

Does anybody have a link or a drawing of an SD11 motherboard that shows what each individual pin for the USB connections are so I can connect the cables from the front panel? I've found many pictures of the board by searching for "sd11" but none show a simple drawing which breaks down each USB pin.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

With a simple ohmmeter, you can find the power and ground, then you only have the other two to figure out. It won't hurt anything if they're reversed, so try them one way, if they don't work, reverse them.

3. James Ostendorf

johnwill:

Thanks for the advice. I will try this but there are a total of 8 pins, enough for 2 USB connections so I'll actually have a guessing game for 4 pins, not 2. Do you have any advice on how to tell the difference between the 2 USB ports and their pins?

4. rugrat

rugrat

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's normally two rows of four pins, each row is a USB port.

6. James Ostendorf

:) rugrat:

Thanks! I downloaded the pdf. I tried doing this over the weekend at home but was unable to view the page even after clearing cache.

johnwill:

I was able to aquire the drawing from a local vendor (General Nanosystems.............see generalnanosystems.com). This particular model has one row of 5 pins and one row of 3 pins so it blows your theory. Indeed, when I looked at the drawing, some pins in one row are for both USB connections.

Thanks to both of your for your help. Now I just need to figure out how to mark this post as solved.....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice