1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Field codes and FILLIN

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by onefurlongout, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onefurlongout

onefurlongout Thread Starter

Hi,

I have created a very long contractual document that needs to be tweaked everytime I use it. In total the are around ten different enteries that need to be put in each time.

I've managed to work out how to use the FILLIN code so that the document prompts me for an answer but it only does this on the first code. I actually have to click on the next code and pres F9 so that it asks me the next.

Is there a way in which I can press F9 once and then word asks me the all the required questions.

Hope anyone can help

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I've never really used the built in prompts but you can accomplish what you want using VBA code and form fields. I would need to see the document to see if this is possible. Can you post your sample document?

Regards,
    Rollin

3. onefurlongout

Rollin,

As its a contractual document I'd rather not post it but I can provide you with a few sample paragraphs from the third and fourth pages where the names are required, the registered number and the company address

THIS AGREEMENT (the “Agreement”)is made between:

NAME OF COMPANY (Registered number xxxxxx) (&#8220;Insurer&#8221;) whose registered office is at <<insert Address>>
    and
    Name of Comapany(Registered number xxxxxxx) (&#8221;Agent&#8221;) whose registered office is at
    <Insert Address
    each a Party and together &#8220;The Parties&#8221;.

The next section requires a number being entered

The Agreement is in respect of all claims with a value not exceeding £[ ]. The Agent will repudiate claims where, following investigations:

Thanks

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Why don't you create a seperate data entry form to type the specific data in to? Instead of being prompted for values one at a time the form would pop up and you would enter all into into the appropriate text fields and then click a button to transfer the data into the contract using form fields.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. onefurlongout

That sounds like a good idea but alas my skills are very limited. What is that process called?

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I just want to double check and verify that you are using MS Word.

Regards,
    Rollin

7. onefurlongout

Yes MS word 2003. Is what you describe a type of mail merge

8. OBP

OBP

Rollin, this sounds like Access VBA putting the data in to Word "Bookmarks" in the Document might work well if the Poster has Access. Or even Excel.
    They would then have a record of all data entered in to the Documents.

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Attached is a very simple example of transferring data from a form directly into a document using form fields. In my sample document the form fields have been shaded gray so you can see them. You can always set them with a white background so that they don't stand out. Open the attached Word doc and run the macro called "ShowForm" and enter you data. If this works for you we can help you put it all together on your own doc. As Tony already stated you may want to consider storing you data in a database table.

Regards,
    Rollin

Attached Files:

10. onefurlongout

Back at home now but I will try this one in the morning. Was there just the one attachement?

Not sure how I run the macro either. God I sound so dumb

11. onefurlongout

but thanks for all the advice

12. onefurlongout

I do have excel by the way so if that helps

13. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Just open the document and then click TOOLS >> MACRO >> MACROS and select the macro called "ShowForm"

Regards,
    Rollin

14. onefurlongout

Ah got it, I had to disable the macros. This works really well and would definately help with the completion of the document.

At the moment I use a word template that allows me to capture all the data/answers. Its then a matter of puttingthe info into main document

15. onefurlongout

Thanks Rollin

This works really well, any ideas how to integrate into my own document?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice