1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Figure out if domain or workgroup?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by obidon, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. obidon

obidon Banned Thread Starter

How would one figure out if a group of computers connected to a LAN had either a Domain or Workgroup network configuration? Thanks for answers.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If there is a computer hooked to the system that is setup as a domain controller,
    such as a business that handles connections through a domain,then you would
    setup the computer as part of that domain.
    If it is just a simple network,no domain controller,then assign the computers
    to a workgroup.

3. obidon

Thanks for replying leroys, but I think you misinterpreted my question. I'm not going to setup computers with one of the network types, I want to know how to figure out what the network type is of any computer that I have physical access to on a LAN. So does anyone know of a way to find out whether a computer is setup in a domain or workgroup network configuration? Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Right click on My Computer - Properties - Computer Name tab. This is for XP, but other Windows versions are at least similar.

5. obidon

Thanks TerryNet, now I know how to find it out on XP. Anyone know how figure it out for Mac OS X?

6. srhoades

srhoades

I don't think any Mac can join a windows domain, just acess shared resources with a valid domain username/password.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

8. obidon

Thats not what I was asking. I wanted to know how to find out the network information (e.g. domain or workgroup configuration) for a Mac. But whatever.

Anyways does anyone know of a good program that lists a bunch of network information? Kinda like CPU-Z but for network info instead of hardware device info. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681353