1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Figuring out what N Router is really the top of the bunch!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cap2587, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I have been doing alot of researching and reading up on the top of the line router's. My guess is that everyone has their own favorite router and the same two people may have a different opinion on what's best. I am going to be using my Laptop about 50 foot away from my router and with 3-4 rooms away on the same floor. I think I should be getting more than 2 bars of signal strength with my current D Link DIR 615 router. Is the 5 GHZ frequency of the Dual band over rated or worth getting a router that includes this. Does it give you a faster transfer rate (for HD Video, downloads), but decrease your range compared to the GHZ. Does it do this be staying away from the crowded 2.4 GHZ Frequency which eats up bandwidth. Does any of the current wireless N cards in Laptops include 5 GHZ frequency and is that needed to tap into this frequency. Is a router with external Antenna's always going to be better for signal strength. I am not too worried about the complexity of setting up a router as I think I can handle that. What kind of speed reduction should a wireless computer be compared to the wired connection (download/upload speed) The USB storage attachment for many devices that the WRT 610 Linksys router includes would be a plus, but not the most important factor. Here are the Router's I am looking at below. The positive reviews seem really good, but the poor reviews are hard to get past.

Linksys WRT 610
    D-Link Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router DIR-825
    LINKSYS E3000

I would appreciate any input on my questions above or recommendations on the router's above or any other that people recommend. Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since the power of router radio signals is limited by the FCC, one is never much better than another as far as distance is concerned. Some have options to control and increase the output power (the WRT54G, that gem of programmable routers that will even run Linux and games, for example, has third-party firmware that adds this option. The power can be increased from around 80 mw to 255 mw, increasing distance by about 3 times).

But routers are pretty simple machines and the variation between brands is not much. You're not going to see any decrease in speed with a new router over a wired connection, not noticeable before and not existent with n.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice