1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Figuring the problem: PSU/Mobo/RAM/CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beaneh, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beaneh

Beaneh Thread Starter

Dear Forum users,

I put together my PC myself but after about a year of no-problems it started acting funny.

A few things could be the problem but I can't determine which. First off, I get a lot of random "errors". Sometimes I get no POST at all, and after rebooting a few times it works fine. However, when it does seem to boot up like it should it freezes within a few minutes, and usually a few minutes after it freezes up it automatically shuts down, powers off, but not always. And when it doesn't freeze within the first 10 minutes it's almost certain to shut down because of a bluescreen of death, however I don't know if this could be just because my windows is corrupted (because of all the random shutdowns) or actually because something is causing hardware errors. Another weird thing I encountered is that at some point it actually said it couldn't detect a CPU, I turned the system off and on again, and it gave me the same message. After waiting for a while and trying again everything went fine again.

Now I'm hoping someone has had ALL these problems together before and can tell me what exactly could be the problem, at first I thought it was the motherboard, but a lot of people tell me it's unlikely because of the brand and type(ASUS A8V-Deluxe). Second I figured it could be my ram, but this is also doubtfull because I've tried both 2 and single sticks and the problems still occur. I've also tried using another hard-disk and still no improvements.. So right now I'm starting to think it could be my Power supply but then again it has always worked fine, so it seems rather odd that it would start causing problems like this all of the sudden, especially wondering if this could cause the Bluescreens..

Any help or input would be very appriciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My first thought would be the power supply.

List your exact specs ie make and model of motherboard, brand and wattage of power supply, make and model of video card, etc.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW just because it is an asus board, does not mean it cannot fail. I have had two doa asus boards lately. That is a good board. I have one installed in my wife's computer. It has been running for about two years.

4. Beaneh

Beaneh Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Here are the parts:

Asus A8V-Deluxe
    AMD 64 3000+ (from what I can remember it was a Winchester- the one that supports dual channel RAM)
    XFX Geforce 6600GT (This one's pretty new but seems to work fine, don't suppose this could cause all the errors above? especially the CPU ones...)
    KIM-POWER 400W Power Supply (uhh I can remember this being really cheap...)
    2x512MB DDR RAM PC 400 (Can't tell which brand, but tried both as singles, and never really had any problems with them)

Please tell me if im missing out on something. Your first thought about the power supply really helps btw, I was getting that impression too, just seems odd that after a year of working fine I get these kinds of errors, and are you sure that it could cause all mentioned problems? My main suspects are the motherboard and the psu :eek:

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think you have answered your own question.
    Get yourself a quality power supply. For a system like that, I would go with at least a 400W unit. Good brands are antec, enermax, coolmax, sparkle, and for a budget enlight.

While you are installing the ps, give the board a very close inspection with a bright light. Check for leaking and or bulging capacitors.

6. Beaneh

Beaneh Thread Starter

Hmm, I replaced the 6600GT with an old Geforce3, still hasnt frozen, so far so good, I guess this was the fix, I'll buy a new Power Supply asap. Thanks for the incredible help, you saved me from being stupid and getting a new mobo in the first place... Altough I'm gonna keep it running for a bit longer to see if this was the actual problem. (If not, I'll be back)

Cheers!

Beaneh.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A possible reason is that the older card does not use as much power.
    However XFX is NOT noted as being a quality mfg.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice