1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Access Denied: You need permission...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GingerTheNinjer, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GingerTheNinjer

GingerTheNinjer Thread Starter

Hello, I have been having trouble trying to delete this executable(.exe) file on Windows 10 Pro. It says the following: "'File Access Denied: 'You need permission to perform this action.'" I have had this error message before and I solved it through the file's properties/security tab and re-entering my username/administrator to the Object Name but this did not work. I also tried running the rm command in the windows powershell (admin) but that did not work either. It is nothing important and is only a .exe to a game which was leftover from an uninstall. So I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16336 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (780 GB Free); D: 931 GB (905 GB Free); X: 3725 GB (3657 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, Z270 GAMING M7 (MS-7A57)
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. jenae

jenae

Hi, there are a number of ways to do this, since this applies to only one file you can use the Icacls util, built into windows. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. ( this is an example for you to follow, I used revo uninstaller.exe in this example, you need to substitute your exe path for mine, and the user name (PTOC\Paul) what you type is highlighted in red for you, since the path contains spaces I have added the needed " you may have to do the same.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Takeown /F "C:\Program Files\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller"
    (press enter)
    SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Program Files\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller" now owned by user "PTOC\Paul".

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Icacls "C:\Program Files\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller" /grant ptoc\paul:f
    (press enter)
    processed file: C:\Program Files\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller
    Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Restart, try to delete now.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Ginger,
    If it is a Protected System file you will not be able to remove it.

What is the filename and path of this exe file?

4. GingerTheNinjer

GingerTheNinjer Thread Starter

I am about to try jenae's suggestion but, it is a .exe file. It is in a win64 file and, it seems like whenever it is in one those folders then I have that problem. The game is uninstalled and every other file of that game is deleted on that drive. The path is:

"C:/Program Files/Epic Games/Paragon/OrionGame/BinariesWin64/OrionClient-Win64-Shipping.exe"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice