1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File and Folder Creation Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JB_78, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB_78

JB_78 Thread Starter

Hey there, TSG!

I seem to be having a bit of trouble when I create new files or folders. I have an idea as to what created the problem, but I'm unsure how to fix it. First off, let me give you a little background info. It's a brand new PC (turned it on for the first time yesterday) so I'm 99.9% positive there's no malware involved. It's a Core 2 Duo machine that originally came with XP Home SP2, but have since upgraded to XP Pro SP2. After upgrading to Pro (and before connecting it to the internet) I installed AVG anti-virus, AVG anti-spyware, SpywareBlaster, IE host file, and ZoneAlarm firewall (all free versions). I then connected to the internet, got windows updated, then updated all the security software. Then I resized the C: partition and created an E: partition with the free space in Partition Commander 10. I'm starting think the partitioning is what caused my problem.

What's happening is when I create a new file and/or folder within My Documents for example, the icon doesn't appear in the window unless I either right click and select refresh, or close and re-open the window. This isn't a huge problem because it does create the folder, however, it is a bit of annoyance when I have to refresh the window in order to name it. Also, if I move a file or folder to a new location, the icon won't disappear from the old location unless I refresh the window. And if I click on said folder before I refresh the window, I'll get a message stating Windows can't find the folder (obviously because the path is no longer valid).

I'm truly lost on this one guys. I've performed more than a dozen partitioning jobs (not that that's a lot, but enough to feel comfortable with it) and have never had any problems, but it's the only thing I can think of. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

2. Claymore

Claymore

Without looking at graphics driver problems or monitor refresh rates, try this:

Kelly's Korner - speed up refresh
    Download and double-click to Merge the contents

3. JB_78

JB_78 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Claymore. I'll give the software a try, but I really don't think it's a refresh rate or graphics driver issue. If it were, I'd be having other problems as well. The thing is, it doesn't matter how long I wait after creating a file, the icon will not appear unless I refresh the window manually, or close and reopen the window.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post the results after I install. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!