File and Printer Sharing (NetBIOS) Fact and Fiction

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Well, it's always interesting to see yet another S. Gibson basher pop up.

The author, who doesn't even identify himself but chooses to hide behind a group name has a clear bias of some kind.
If you scroll to the fiction and fact part of his page, you will see he in fact agrees with Gibson on many things but chooses not to admit it.

For some reason the author believes Gibson's "evil port monitors" reference regards "certain unnamed security products", when in fact it refers to trojans, spyware and adware programs.

There are a number of references on the page that are just plain cheap shots and Monday morning quarter backing.

There unfortunately will always be people around that try to make themselves look good at the expense of others.

One could easily bash the authors site the same way.

Gibson was one of the very first to point out the insecure side of using Windows on the Internet at a time when nobody paid attention to this.
It's now become a priority for business, most home-users and even Microsoft itself.

I, for one appreciate Gibson's free contributions to the net.
I don't appreciate the bashers much.
(I didn't appreciate it when Gibson did a little product bashing of his own)

The Author claims that the NetBios is not a security hazard if one has a very good NetBios password.

Fine.

Do you have one??
Do most folks???

hewee

I too think Gibson has done a great job.
Look back a couple months and it was him that found all the holes in Norton's firewall and ones from other companies.

I don't enought about Security to say what all is true.
But I keep my ZoneAlarm up and running and have Disable the Windows Scripting Host.

So I am ok or have been doing ok so quess I will keep doing ok in protecting my PC.

Thanks to ZoneAlarm for renaming some attachments that I got in a "Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!" with his Mail Safe too.
I have only ever gotten one virus and don't use spyware.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online