1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File and printer sharing over a network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alex2029, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alex2029

alex2029 Thread Starter

Hi all, I'm using the Linksys 10M Phoneline Router to share my high speed internet access and now I'm trying to share files and printers between the PCs in my network.
    The problem is that when I click on network neighborhood, I can only see my PC that I'm currently using on the network. I can't see the other PCs on the network. I checked the settings on the three computers and they all have different computer names and the same workgroup name and I enabled file and printer sharing on all 3 PCs in the network so it looks fine, but I know something is wrong. Any suggestions ???

Thanks for any info.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Have you shared any drives or folders on the other PC's?

3. alex2029

alex2029 Thread Starter

I tried to by enabling file and printer sharing, but I can't share anything except internet access at this time.

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

after enabling the sharing in the network properties on each PC,
    - you need to identify which drives and/or folders and/or files you want to share before the other PCs can 'see' them

to share the entire hdd
    open windows explorer
    highlight drive C:
    right click, properties
    sharing
    tick off shared
    give it a shared name

do the same on the other PCs - depending what you want to share
    (ie enable the full drive, or certain folders, or certain files)

after this step, you should be able to see your network through network neighborhood

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice