1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File and Printer Sharing Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LeftofCool, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeftofCool

LeftofCool Thread Starter

I have a Linksys router and a Linksys wireless card that I use in my laptop. I share a broadband connection with my desktop as well as a printer and files. Recently, I noticed that I could not print from my laptop. I further investigated the issue and discovered that I could not access anything on my desktop. I have not changed any settings, as far as I know, and I can still use the broadband connection but cannot use the printer or access any shared files. When I use the net view command I get this error:

System error 6118 has occurred.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cookies

Cookies

3. LeftofCool

My desktop has decided to recognize my laptop under the "View Workgroup" panel, but it still won't let me access it and tells me the network path was not found. I have since noticed that I cannot telnet from my laptop, all of my attempted connections are being terminated before they have even had a chance to connect. I am not sure if this is related or not. I can still surf the web, though. Thanks.

P.S. The middle link doesn't work.

4. Cookies

Cookies

Did the firewall config on the desktop pc change, and is the desktop the gateway? Try a tracert from the desktop to the lappy and visa versa.

You may also wish to make sure ICS and file sharing are configured properly.

PS: You're right; sorry about line #2. Happy fingers ;)

5. LeftofCool

I just found a TrueVector Component runnning on both sytems in Msconfig. I ended both and took them out of startup. Now, my laptop is recognizing the workgroup, however, when I got to the Add Printer Wizard it won't let me go past Mshome even though I can on my desktop. I have restarted both comps and restarted the router and broadband modem. I still can't see any of my shared files.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TrueVector is part of ZoneAlarm. Clearly, ICS should not even be in this conversation since you have a broadband router.

Let's start at the basics:

- Can you ping each machine from the other machine?

- Do you have NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on both machines?

- Do you have File and Print sharing installed?

- Did you actually share a resource, like the printer you're trying to configure?

- Did you consider adding the NETBEUI protocol on both machines if all else fails?

7. Cookies

Cookies

John ever hear back....was this resolved?

G.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Never heard a word, either he got it running or gave up. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice