File and printer sharing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flava

I'm new here so please bare with me.
I have two computers in my house - one is upstairs, the other is downstairs.

Computer 1 -
Runs Windows XP Professional
Router connected with cable (D-Link router)

Computer 2 -
Runs Windows XP Home
Has network card, connects to router wirelessly (Belkin network card)

I currently have shared internet connection, which works fine on both computers. The problem comes with each computer seeing the other computer, and being able to share files and printers. They are definately in the same workgroup - and I tried ping testing to each computer and they communicate fine. However I still cannot access either computer through windows (tried going to Network Places > View Workgroup computers).

When I click View Workgroup Computers on Computer 2, I can see Computer 2 there in the workgroup (cannot see computer 1). However, when I click View Workgroup Computers on Computer 1, I cannot see either computer.

Any help appreciated, hope I gave enough information!
Thanks!

Flava,

I had the same problem as you a few months ago when I got a new computer. I received help from Terrynet, so I've included his post below:

TerryNet said:
If you have both computers able to access the internet throught the router ...

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of Win 2k Pro or XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC without the above versions.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... .

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.
Hope that helps!

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

Flava

1. Both have same IP scheme (196.168.1.x)
2. Both computers have same subnet mask, gateway and DNS IP address
3. I can ping the other computers by IP address
4. I cannot seem to ping the other computers by computer name
5. Both computers have the same workgroup name
6. Neither computer has a firewall enabled

Still can't solve the problem..

One strange thing is that I enabled NETBIOS over tcp/ip on my XP Pro computer - yet when I run IPCONFIG/ALL, it says that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled. Running nbtstat -n on my XP home PC works fine, yet on my XP Pro PC I get an error saying it cannot be run.

"6. Neither computer has a firewall enabled"

Other than the Windows built in firewall, are there any other ones installed?
Did you disable the Windows firewall just to test?
What service pack level is on both computers?

Flava

Other than Windows firewall, neither computer has another firewall installed. Windows firewall is always disabled on both computers - so it wasn't just disabled for testing. Both computers have service pack 2 installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online