1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File and printer sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Flava, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flava

Flava Thread Starter

I'm new here so please bare with me.
    I have two computers in my house - one is upstairs, the other is downstairs.

Computer 1 -
    Runs Windows XP Professional
    Router connected with cable (D-Link router)

Computer 2 -
    Runs Windows XP Home
    Has network card, connects to router wirelessly (Belkin network card)

I currently have shared internet connection, which works fine on both computers. The problem comes with each computer seeing the other computer, and being able to share files and printers. They are definately in the same workgroup - and I tried ping testing to each computer and they communicate fine. However I still cannot access either computer through windows (tried going to Network Places > View Workgroup computers).

When I click View Workgroup Computers on Computer 2, I can see Computer 2 there in the workgroup (cannot see computer 1). However, when I click View Workgroup Computers on Computer 1, I cannot see either computer.

Any help appreciated, hope I gave enough information!
    Thanks!

2. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo

Flava,

I had the same problem as you a few months ago when I got a new computer. I received help from Terrynet, so I've included his post below:

Hope that helps!

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

4. Flava

Flava Thread Starter

1. Both have same IP scheme (196.168.1.x)
    2. Both computers have same subnet mask, gateway and DNS IP address
    3. I can ping the other computers by IP address
    4. I cannot seem to ping the other computers by computer name
    5. Both computers have the same workgroup name
    6. Neither computer has a firewall enabled

Still can't solve the problem..

One strange thing is that I enabled NETBIOS over tcp/ip on my XP Pro computer - yet when I run IPCONFIG/ALL, it says that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled. Running nbtstat -n on my XP home PC works fine, yet on my XP Pro PC I get an error saying it cannot be run.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"6. Neither computer has a firewall enabled"

Other than the Windows built in firewall, are there any other ones installed?
    Did you disable the Windows firewall just to test?
    What service pack level is on both computers?

6. Flava

Flava Thread Starter

Other than Windows firewall, neither computer has another firewall installed. Windows firewall is always disabled on both computers - so it wasn't just disabled for testing. Both computers have service pack 2 installed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice