1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File and Settings Transfer Wizard vs. Easy Transfer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gela.ann, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gela.ann

gela.ann Thread Starter

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.. I didn't really know what to put it under..

I was upgrading my system, from XP to Vista. I tried the 'keep all my current files and settings' option for the upload, but it wouldn't let me use it.
    So, I used the file and settings transfer wizard to transfer all my files to my external hard drive. Then I deleated my files on my computer - no point in having two copies. (I now know how stupid this idea was).
    When I had successfuly uploaded Widows vista onto my computer, I found that it didn't actualy have the files and settings transfer wizard - it had something called 'Easy Transfer' instead. Easy tranfer is incompatible with the File and settings transfer wizard.

So, now all my files are sitting on my Hard drive in .dat files, and I don't know how to get them back.

Help me please.
    Thanks

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The only way to get them back is to install XP on the machine and import them, or use another XP machine. Then use Vista's transfer to move them from the XP installation to Vista.

One possibility would be to install XP into a virtual machine, like VirtualBox, and then import the settings from the hard drive. You could then export them to a shared folder and thus to Vista.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!