1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File and Settings Transfer Wizard

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DDC, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

I have a laptop and a desktop PC and would like to transfer files from one to another. I am trying to use the Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP but am having difficulties with it. I get both computers to the screen where it has the step to "Make sure both computers are on this screen" and i do that, then press next on both...and it stays there and doesn't detect anything even though i have an ethernet cable connected between them.

Is there something I am doing wrong or perhaps there is another program other than the Windows that I could use that would make this process easier?

Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just plugging in an ethernet cable does not make them network together.

What type of cable?
    Crossover or Patch (straight through)?

3. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

It's a cat-5 cable and it said on the wizard that all i would need to do is have a connection from one to the other and have the wizard to that screen on both ones and it would work. It's Straight through

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A peer to peer ethernet connection direct between 2 PC's requires a "crossover" cable to work, not a "straight through" cable.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Using a USB flash drive, CD, or external hard drive would be easier.

6. hansmax

hansmax

The Ethernet cable will only work if both computers are networked. Actually, it's incidental, since you can use FAST over any network, wired or not.

7. hansmax

hansmax

Actually, you may find the crossover cable if you look for a "PC to PC serial data transfer cable". This may be for the older 9 pin or 25 pin serial ports (some have both on the same cable), or can be a USB (crossover type). They run $8 to $10 on the Internet. I agree that flash drive or CD would be easier, unless you've got Gigabytes to move.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice