1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Association for maff files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by normanevan, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. normanevan

normanevan Thread Starter

I believe this is a Win 7 problem but apologies if this is not the place to post this. Here's the problem:

I had set the association for maff files with FirefoxPortable.exe. Recently, I needed to change the location of the Firefox Portable folder. But, after doing that, I am unable to set the maff files to open with FirefoxPortable.exe. I get to the point where I choose the file but after that, FirefoxPortable does not appear in either the 'recommended programs' or the 'other programs'.

The only way that I am able to get FirefoxPortable to re-appear in the 'recommended programs'is by copying/ moving the Firefox Portable folder to its original location. This is all that I have tried:

I have tried setting the association by right-clicking a maff file ('open with...', 'choose default program') and also through the Control Panel> Default Programs ('Associate a file type or protocol with a program'): neither has worked.

I am able to set the file association to the Firefox.exe file, but that does not help open the file- the association needs to be set to FirefoxPortable.exe.

I changed the association to notepad.exe and then tried changing that association to FirefoxPortable.exe but that didn't work.

I have tried removing the file associations for maff files through the command prompt but the association with Firefox.exe is still visible in Win 7.

I have tried removing the file associations for maff files by using the utility unassoc.exe but the association with Firefox.exe is still visible in Win 7.

I have included Firefox, Portable Edition in the list of default programs using RegisterFirefoxPortable.exe (downloaded from winhelponline) but that has not helped.

Thanks,

Norman
    --------------------------

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3055 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA NVS 3100M, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238172 MB, Free - 96941 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 172B
    Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, Updated and Enabled

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Firefox Portable is intended to be run from a USB Flash drive, is that what you are using?

The drive letter for a Flash Drive may change when the system reboots, but the file associations will be saved for a fixed location.

You may have more luck if you install the normal version of Firefox.

3. normanevan

normanevan Thread Starter

No, the Firefox Portable folder is located on my hard drive and not on a USB stick.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

As you are not using Firefox Portable as a portable application then there is no point in having it. If you change to the static application and install it where you want to keep it the problem should be solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice