1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File association problem after fresh install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CltTech, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CltTech

CltTech Thread Starter

Have a cpu that was infected with several pieces of malware and adware and such. Everytime I tried to open or run applications I got the Microsoft has encountered a problem message. So I finally decided not to waste time, went ahead and backed up all important files customer needed and reformatted this Dell Dimemsion 3000 with the origional XP Home disk it came with. BTW I did a full format not quick one. Everything went fine, XP booted up. Looked in control panel, system, device drives and the only ones missing were the ethernet controller, modem, video and audio drivers. From this cpu went on dells site found the proper ethernet driver, saved it to my flash, transfered to desktop of the Dell, double clicked...nothing happened ... right clicked the tried open and run .. nothing ... tried the same with the video and modem same thing nothing happened. Tried to install ccleaner and got the microsoft has encountered a problem message again .. tried to install hijackthis and same type of message. figured something went wrong during install so i used a OEM copy of xp pro i have used on several machines without any problems including mine so I know it it good. Put it in the dell and restarted .. did another full format on the c: partition(only one) .. install went off without any problems. XP Pro restarts and I still have the same issues. Decided to try another format to bring it back to customers origional operation system and the issues are still present. Have never encountered a system problem like this after fresh installs. I have also tried the exefix from kellys page but no help. Friend suggested it might be some sort of file association problem but I cant seem to find one or dont know what Im looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What is the exact error message please?

3. CltTech

CltTech Thread Starter

if i try to open ccleaner installer i get

CCleaner Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error Signature
    AppName: ccsetup302.exe AppVer: 2.0.0.0 MdName: unknowm
    ModVer 0.0.0.0. Offset 003fb208

4. Phantom010

Does it do that for all programs you are trying to install?

5. CltTech

CltTech Thread Starter

Either I get that error or nothing happens

6. Phantom010

If all programs are giving you the same error message or nothing happens, perhaps you need to update Windows Installer. Do you have SP3?

7. CltTech

CltTech Thread Starter

have sp3 on a flash drive but i get the same error when I try to open the self-extracting cabinet

8. Phantom010

Click Start > Run > type services.msc

Locate the Windows Installer service.

Make sure it's Started and Manual.

9. CltTech

CltTech Thread Starter

went to services and the windows installer was set to manual but not started. I started the service (no problems) but i still get the same messages.

10. Phantom010

It's only supposed to Start when needed.

11. Phantom010

What if you get it from Windows Update?

12. CltTech

CltTech Thread Starter

only problem is i cant install the ethernet driver to get on the internet. when i try to extract the driver nothing happens.

13. Phantom010

Try the following:

Go to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CONFIG.NT

Open the file with Notepad (be sure to uncheck the "Always use the selected......" box)

Go to the very bottom of the Notepad window. Do you see files=40?

===================================================================

Or perhaps THIS?

14. CltTech

CltTech Thread Starter

yes at end "files=40"

15. Phantom010

A lot of software do need the Internet to properly install. If you can't install your network adapter driver, that may very well be the root cause and why you can't install anything on your computer. I would try another driver.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!