File Association Unknown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NJJJ

When I right-click an icon on my desktop and then select Properties I get the box with the buttons Find Target and Change Icon at the bottom. When I click on Find Target, I get an error message stating that "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action"and that I need to re-associate it. I can not find out how to fix this since I do not know what program normally accesses this info. (It used to work but I haven't used it in quite some time. I tried to recently and got this error.) Other forums/techies can not figure it out either.
Anyone got an idea how to fix this? It's going to be simple once I know what file executes this action.

Hey,

Well first of all, the icon you're clicking is a shortcut to another file right? What is the name of the file that the shortcut is pointing to?
Specifically, in the "target" box, what is the file extension of the file that the shortcut is pointing to?

NJJJ

It is only possible to get to the Find Target button if the icon is for a shortcut. (It's not an option if it is a program icon.) It doesn't matter which shortcut I try this with. I checked and the target files (all are .exe) are in place and run correctly. The path in the Properties box is always correct. I assume clicking the Find Target button executes a Windows Explorer Command? If so, which one? I also notice that after I close the error message box, I can not close the Properties box for about a minute. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't show a hanging command/program.

NJJJ

I right-clicked on a shortcut icon on the desktop and "sent" it to the desktop (again) as another shortcut. If I then open that second shortcut and click on that Find Target button, it works but it only tells me that the target is already on the desktop. (Close but no cigar.) At least I don't get an error message.
It looks more and more as though the Windows Explorer Command that shows the location of target files has been disassociated from the "Find Target" button. I just need to find out which one and how to reassociate it.

Hello,

First, let me apologize for incorrectly wording my last post. I am aware that the Find Target button is only available in a .lnk file, I just have a bad tendency to phrase my comments as questions, (I guess it was supposed to be kind of rhetorical).:eek:
Also, I apologize for assuming that your problem related to a program, and not Windows Explorer. The only thing I can think of is to open the file types screen, then scroll down to Windows Explorer Command, and make sure that its properly asscoiated with explorer.exe. You might also want to check rundll32. (I'm assuming this happens with every shortcut)?

NJJJ

No apologies necessary. No harm done.
Yeah, it only happens with .lnk files since that's the only way to get properties then Find Target. I've looked at Windows Command and RunDLL and they are both associated with explorer.exe. The .lnk file must be working because if you double-click on the icon the shortcut runs the program. It's only something about that *?$% Find Target button as far as I can tell. It's not a major problem but annoying to know that I can't fix it! Argghh! I have to go outside and walk the dog!!

Well,

Only one thing I can think of, but I don't know which key to modify. Snoop around this Registry entry, but I'd be pretty careful about making any changes.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

Also, I'm guessing you already checked this out, but here's a link to an MS KB art. that refers to "Find Target". (I checked, but its not the same problem).

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q188/6/04.ASP

I guess one other option (if you really care), is to boot into DOS, and extract a new copy of explorer.exe. (might work).

Good Luck

NJJJ

Yeah, I've done the regedit thing and found no solution there as well. I guess I'll just have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything...NOT! I'll keep looking. I'll even ask the computer guru at work.
Thanks for trying. Keep this in the back of your mind should you ever hear of a similar problem.

All in all, it's not important compared to "The Eleventh".

There are many ways to disable the Find Target Button. Among them, changing the flags in the registry in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
removing:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{50A7E9B0-70EF-11D1-B75A-00A0C90564FE}
OR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{85CB6900-4D95-11CF-960C-0080C7F4EE85
OR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

But None of these produces an error. What happens is this: Nothing happens when the find target button is pressed.

Download ROG's fix. It is the correct entries for .lnk and lnkfile in HKCR which is the file association area so to speak. I played with those keys and couldn't reproduce the error. However, if they are damaged, maybe Rog's Download will repair the problem.

"Find Target" is not associated with a program. It can't hurt to enter correct keys into the registry. I don't know what is causing this. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint damage.

You don't know when it started either or I would tell you to do a scanreg /restore.

If you haven't installed or uninstalled anything within the past few days, you might try a reg restore anyway.

At the least, try to boot to the command prompt and type

scanreg /fix
Press enter

EDIT: I forgot to tell you to reboot after you try any of the fixes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online