1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Association w/pictures

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dianerowley, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dianerowley

dianerowley Thread Starter

New Dell pc with XP. All new to me. I am using Outlook Express. When I click on the paperclip to open a picture, I receive a message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performaning this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." I don't have a clue as to what this means.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Diane

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This simply means that your new PC does not have any software "associated" with image files to allow them to be displayed. Perhaps because none has been installed by you.

I would recommend that you download and install a good (free) image viewer/editor program such as Irfanview, and allow it to associate itself with all image file types when being installed (all .jpg, .gif, .bmp etc)

Get it from here
    http://www.irfanview.com/

3. dianerowley

I downloaded Irfanview as you suggested. It didn't work. Still cannot get pictures.

I have Microsoft Picture It as well as the program that came with my Nikon camera. Shouldn't these have allowed the association which would be a jpeg file.

Is there a next step. What does it mean when it says: "Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." I don't have a clue as to what this.

Diane

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

In Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), click on Tools
    Then select Folder Options
    Then select File Types
    Scroll the list down until you get to JPG - JPG Image
    Select it

In the lower part of the windows it has "Details for 'JPG' extension

Press the Change button

Select the program you want to use for that image type.

Make sure that the "always use the selected program...." box is checked.
    Select OK.

Do the same for GIF files and for PNG and for BMP.

One would have thought that the Picture It program would have had the association (you omitted to say that you already had an image editor installed) though.

Of course it could also be a problem in that the "picture" that you are trying to open is a non-standard type, that is incompatable. The actual file name would indicate that, in particular the "file extension", being the 3 letters after the "." in the file name.

What is the actual name of the attachment, including the 3 letter file extension?

5. dianerowley

The name of the picture file is:

PICT0001.JPG (321KB

I'm also surprised that Microsoft Picture It and my camera software didn't automatically read the picture.

Diane

6. dianerowley

Kiwi

I went to Windows Explorer and followed your steps. When scrolling down I found:

JPEG - JPEG file
    JPG - JPG file
    JFIF - JPEG image

but no JPG - JPG image.

I was afraid to try any of these. I need clarification as to which one to select.

In the meantime, I went into Windows Picture It and send a picture to myself. Again, as before, no file association. I then tried my camera program - Nikon. It refused to let me send a picture. I've uninstalled it and re-installed. No luck.

Again, thanks for any help.

Diane

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just use the JPG one, if it is not associated as an image yet then it probably will say "file" and not "image" (chicken and egg scenario, logically).

8. Deke40

Deke40

Did you go to the "Options" tab and click the "Set File Associations" then select the "Extensions" tab and tick the ones you wanted to associate with Irfanview?

Attached Files:

9. dianerowley

I did the file association. It worked. Thanks so much.

10. tlfmd

tlfmd

Then why won't mine?
    Not particularly new to Internet etc, Only on this machine does this happen.. and wioth any file with an extension (*.jpg, *.wmv, *.eml, ANY of them), if it hasn't an extension, it works fine.
    My associations list is intact.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice