1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File association

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by brbpab94, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brbpab94

brbpab94 Thread Starter

My question is how can I tell what to use to open a document ?I'm not sure what file extention goes whith what document

2. Huon

Huon

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi Huon

I don't fully understand your question

If you can tell me what the extension is I can tell you what program will open it

steam

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Here's my reply to a similar, recent question:
    <hr>
    It has been my experience with Win98 that "open with..." and folder options are not always sucessful in setting a file association. Instead I use Winfile:

1) Go to Start > run..., and enter winfile

2) To select the file to be associated, navigate to it by first selecting the drive, then in the left pane select the folder(s) in which the file is stored.

3) Find the file in the right pane. Note that the MS-DOS name will be displayed so ensure what it is for the file. If you are not sure, right click the file, then properties. The MS-DOS name will be displayed there.

4) Select the target file then go to the top of the window and click File > Associate...

5) In the Associate window, confirm the file extension, eg. xls.

6) In "associate with:" line, select the program you wish to open the file type by highlighting it in the list below, or by "browse..."

7) Once the file and program are selected, click ok.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice