1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

*** File associations ***

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DRGW, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DRGW

DRGW Thread Starter

Oops.

I have been playing with settings on my PC and have set-up a file association in error.

The file in question doesn't need a file association set up i.e it doesn't need a program to open it.

How can I correct what I have done?

Thanks

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Select the file, right mouse, open with, Choose Program, select the one required, select Always use this program ...., OK your way out.

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Click Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore and Restore to a date before you change the file Associations

4. DRGW

DRGW Thread Starter

WhitPhil thanks for your reply. I don't need a program to open the file though. .

bonk will doing what you suggest affect anything else I have done on my computer? What does system restore actually do? Will I have to back up programs first etc?

5. bonk

bonk Banned

You won't lose any data...but any programs you installed after the paticular date will have to be reinstalled.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I'm not sure what your exact problem is?

Is it that you HAVE linked a program to a specific file extension that you want to get rid of?

Doing a restore will undo the change.

Or, just leave it alone. Nothing is going to happen unless you accidentally double click on a file with that extension and {program X} will run and try to open it. Other than that, there are no other side affects.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice