1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file associations

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wamjwm, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wamjwm

wamjwm Thread Starter

I have installed Microsoft Picture it Publisher and now all my pictures that I have saved are using this program to view them. I am trying to keep them in the browser but can't figure out how. When I look at a picture that I have saved and want to print it I want to use the internet explorer browser. Can anyone help me with this? It's a huge program and takes forever to load. All I want to do is open a jpg file and print the picture. I've tried the settings tab and folder options to change the program that it uses to open the jpg file but it always uses MS Picture it.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

wamjwm
    Graphics programs stealing the file associations is quite common.
    Here is the way to reassociate with Internet Explorer or other Graphis programs.

--------------------------
    FILE ASSOCIATIONS
    --------------------------
    Step 1- Locate the images that you are having trouble opening.
    Step 2- If you have a Graphics program that you prefer using then that is the one which will be used in the next steps, if you do not then we will use Internet Explorer.
    Step 3- Left click to highlight image file
    Step 4- Right click highlighted Image while holding down the shift key and select the "open with" option
    Step 5- Once the open with selection box appears scroll down to your preferred graphic program or to Internet Explorer
    Step 6- Highlight your preferred program or Internet Explorer
    Step 7- Click the always use this box
    Step 8-Click OK
    Repeat process for all your file types, jpeg,gif,tif,bmp and so on.

Hope that helps
    Dave

3. wamjwm

wamjwm Thread Starter

I tried your suggestion but it did not change the association. I didn't think to try what you suggested and thought it would work but for some reason it will not make the change. Thanks anyway. I know there must be a way to do it but I'm beginning to believe it's not worth it.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

wamjwm
    Well lets not give up just yet! There is a few other things that we can try but lets find out what is happening here.
    If you go to your pictures folder and right click on a picture do you have an option that says open with, or just an open option?

When you followed the instructions and selected Internet Explorer which I believe you said you wanted, did you also put a check in the box for always open with? Also did it open with Internet Explorer?

Which OS are you running Win98, Win98SE, ect

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice