1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Associations

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by albob1948, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. albob1948

albob1948 Thread Starter

At the forefront, please accept my deepest apology for this post as it pertains to many other posts with same subject:

this file does not have a program associated . . . in the Set Associations control panel.

Background: HP Pavilion 9000 running VISTA. On 1 Apr (I was the April fool), I acquired a virus (antivirus Vista). I immediately panicked and starting reading/doing to fix. I ran a 'full' McAfee virus scan. During this time of panic, I also did a systems restore. At the end of all this, my email worked along with a few executables and it appears that McAfee quarantined the virus. THIS I AM NOT SURE OF. I tried 'set associations' to no avail (could not find anything to associate) for practically everything without any positive results and most likely did not really know what I was doing. Practically everything is practically everything.

I have Googled 'this file' and began reading the posts; however, nothing seems to work.

Basically, I am elated to have what I have; but, really need all programs to work - primarily my ErrorFix, McAfee and Antimalware and some church files.

QUESTIONS: Our site advertises fixing Vista in 2 minutes - will that help?
    Am I still infected with remnants?

Again, I apologize for repetition and ask your indulgence. Much thanks in advance.:eek:

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

and that file would be???

3. albob1948

albob1948 Thread Starter

Sir

When I Googled 'that file', I was making reference to the error message I get on file associations.

Is that what you are asking me?

Thanks

Albob48

4. albob1948

albob1948 Thread Starter

Sir

After some thought about your question, I believe I know what you are asking. My deepest apology!

If I try to open 'calculator' which is on my desktop, I get the message on file associations. In fact, even things in the control panel have the same resuslt.

Another exampe is 'Windows sidebar', which when I open it, I get the properties; but, nothing happens on the desk top that I can see.

Basically, most file that I try to open get the 'file association' error message.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!