File confusions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carolsre

Ever since I had to reinstall my XP Professional, My files have been confused. When I click on "my documents" on the desktop: SEARCH WINDOW opens up, making me go through several steps before getting to the item I want. I did find under Folder Options (Control Panel) under file types Extensions has (NONE) in every category. Could this be the problem and how do I solve it. This has been going on since late October 2005. My small little help now is to go immediately to right click: explore. But, I shouldn't have to do that.

Thanks

If the Windows Explorer opens up the Search Companion rather than opening up the actual folder, the default setting for opening a folder is changed.

To correct this:

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shell and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Drive \ shell]
Edit the default value to be explorer or none

You can download a registry file to do this automatically for you at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/directory.reg

carolsre

Thank you so much. That part worked, at least I see my files. When I clicked on the file though, the Search opened again. If I right click the file I can choose explore. So at least you saved a step. Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online