1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File copy and paste extremely slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rcmojo66, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rcmojo66

rcmojo66 Thread Starter

Copy and paste operations over the network in Vista are terribly slow. The 'Calculating time remaining' blurb just seems to slow the entire process down and then I get transfer rates less than 2mb between machines on my network. Here are my relevant specs:

Belkin N1 Wireless Router set to A/G/N

Machine A: Vista Ultimate, P4 Duo Core, 2 GB Ram, Belkin N1 PCI desktop wireless card, 7200 RPM Sata HDD

Machine B: Vista Ultimate, AMD Athlon 3800+, 1 GB Ram, Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet, 7200 RPM Sata HDD

The wireless Router has updated firmware supporting Vista, the N1 PCI desktop wireless card is still running on XP drivers but I get GREAT download speeds on the internet. Machine B has multiple HDD's and when I perform copy/paste from one drive to another, the transfer rate is very fast. I have read some tips that disabling 'Remote Differential Compression' has improved transfer speeds but that just increased my speed very slightly - hardly noticable at all. If not for the fact that I get great download speeds on the internet, I would assume that the XP driver on my N1 desktop card is at fault.

I setup Machine B as a FTP server and downloaded the same files that were so slow from Machine A and transfer rates are significantly faster than the copy/paste operation.

As more people get their hands on Vista, I'm sure someone smarter than I will find a cure to this annoying problem!

2. benkid77

benkid77

Exactly same problem here, using wireless laptop with vista. 2nd machine is wired to a gigabit switch and running XP.

On the vista laptop, web downloads are very fast, but any network file operations are very slow.

I agree, it doesn't look like a driver issue because Internet downloads are so blindingly fast on the laptop.

When copying files across LAN, you can see the network icon in the sytem tray flashing back and forth at a slow rate.

Have resorted to using a USB HDD drive enclosure to transfer large amounts of data until this is resolved.

(It was OK with same hadware under XP)

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Are you going through a shared folder or the public folders?

I haven't encountered any problems like this myself, a few others but not like that.

4. benkid77

benkid77

I'm just using conventional shared folders, connecting from from the laptop to the admin share on the second machine via the UNC path \\machinename\c$

Neither the network throughput, the HDD nor the CPU are going up to high levels of usage during network file copying.
    So it's like there's no hardware bottleneck, but it's just slow for some reason that I can't identify.
    Doesn't seem like a codec issue either, as copying non-multimedia files is also slow.

Other protocols run fine over the LAN, e.g. RDP, VNC. Have even tried FTP and that works fast between the two machines.. It just seems to be copying stuff via microsoft shared folders that's slow.

Also, in my case, copying files is acceptably fast in vista when copying disk to disk on the same Vista host.

I need more RAM though on the laptop. I'm, currently only running Vista at the bare minimum of 512MB. I've got a further 1 GB on order, so I'll see if the problem is lessened when I have a more reasonable amount of RAM in the system. Maybe that's something to do with this problem.

5. aus_thegun

aus_thegun

Seeing exactly the same issue as described above. Copying from Vista desktop (high spec) to XP pro laptop (high spec) using UNC paths and shared folders is painfully slow. It would be almost quicker for me to download the same amount of data from the internet. Wireless network, internet downloads in the order of ~500Kb/s to both machines, network copy struggles to get above ~100Kb/s.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I doubt the problem is Vista. No one has said how big the files are they are trying to copy.
    Wirless is one of the slowest ways to copy big files, and always has been. I used to access a network drive from 3 pc's for a few programs and as the files got bigger and better, opening and closing the files became endless.
    Since wireless transfer is about the slowest means of transfer, other factors like "road clogging" antivirus such as Norton and MacAfee, Windows Defender which I disabled immediately as it is a big "sludge pile" that serves no positive purpose...all are factors also.
    And third party firewalls are incredibly annoying in Vista as well.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. steventilly

steventilly

I have the same problem. Wireless network, copying between two XP machines is slow but acceptable, copying to a Vista machine is the pits (200kb/s). It's quicker to copy stuff to a USB pen drive and walk between the machines! As with the guy above, I can get 500kb/s+ downloading from the Internet, so what's with Vista copying?
    I'll try the hotfix mentioned above, but it doesn't seem to address the problem of being very slow, but the problem of hanging, which is not what I have.

9. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Try this. Open the Control panel (classic view). Selct Programs and Features.
    On the left select Turn windows features on and off.
    Scroll down and untick Remote differential Compression.
    This feature is for internet work but Vista seems to see local operations through the same eyeball. It worked for me.

10. kama64

kama64

Try running this command in the command prompt:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

11. magicanes

magicanes

Hey,

i have had the same problems even when i was going from one partition to another. it seems to me that the speed of my old floppy disk was 1000 times faster. i have tried teracopy from http://www.codemaster.com and and then i have copied 60 Gb from another pc in less than 70 minutes...

GREAT GREAT Program (y)(y)(y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!