1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file deletion denied!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lowrider198, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lowrider198

lowrider198 Thread Starter

Using XP sp2, trying to clear out some useless files on an external drive, no matter how many files I deleted it didn't make much change in space recovered then I checked the size of Windows Live One backup file, 50 gig,(wow) that's 60% of the total drive space, while trying to delete it, I get the message
    "cannot delete DO_NOT_DELETE.mediaID: access denied"

Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that file is not
    currently in use.

While researching this on this forum I noticed a thread about the same problem, the advice given was" right click the file, choose "security" tab, then make sure about ownership, the problem is that, there is no security tab, at that point I'm stuck. I'd really like to get my 50 gig back, can anybody help?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. lowrider198

First, Thanks for the reply. Ok, tried the Explorer thing(by the way I'm using XP sp2 Media Center, do not know if that makes a difference) managed to untick the box you indicated, logged in properly, tried to delete, same result, denied. Then I downloaded "unlocker" installed it, then right clicked file, followed the options listed in the programs' drop down, then nothing, the file is still there occupying 40 gig on my external.
    I'm thinking about the next step....the dreaded registry, but I am fearful, ya know what i mean? I'm decent on the PC but leary of the registry. I don't want to impose on your kindness, but..........could you give a little bit more info on the steps I take in there?

Thanks
    Jim

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I wouldn't play with the registry if I were you.

Try this instead, it should do the trick!

5. lowrider198

that solution didn't do it either, does it matter that i uninstalled the Live One application quite a while ago? Why in the hell would Microsoft give you a program you can't be rid of? I'm puzzled as to why the Unlocker program doesn't do the job, doesn't seem to work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice