1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Deletion Questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackFireNov, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackFireNov

BlackFireNov Thread Starter

Using Windows XP Pro, fully patched, on 2.8GHZ PIV, 512 Ram 120GB HDD

I have several questions.

1. Frequently I go to the 'Local Settings/Temp' folder in my user folder to delete the files there, as I have found that Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to know about that folder, and doesn't clean it up.
    Q: Is there any way to add that location to Disk Cleanup's list of areas to clean out?

2. Many times when I go to the folder mentioned above, I want to highlight all of the files in the folder, and mass delete them. Naturally there are always a few which are "in use" and so the delete routine fails as soon as it reaches one of the "in use" files, and one has to then try and work around those.
    Q: Is there a way to select a mass of files for deletion, and to have it simply ignore files in use, but continue and delete all of the rest of the files selected that are NOT in use?

Alternatively, is there a utility (preferrably freeware) which is available which will allow the selection of a group of files for deletion, and delete all possible files in the group, ignoring those which are "in use"?

3. Finally, is there an available utility, either in the OS, or other, which will allow one to select a file which is marked "in use" (as per above), and then target or identify the program or process which is "using" that file?

Thanks for your help

BFN

2. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

A vbs script should handle all the utility jobs you described. There are numerous sites that have sample VBS scripts where all you would need to do is look for the path that is provided and change it to what you want. Most likely you'll find exactly what you want if it is a common request.

3. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

for your third question, I use wholockme. you can right click on the file that is 'in use' and click on wholockme and it will tell you what is using the file. If it is an avi file I can give you seperate instructions on how to delete that.

www.google.com search for wholockme

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/265637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice