1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Downloads

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tygergal, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tygergal

Tygergal Thread Starter

I've been having a problem lately downloading files. After the file gets done downloading, the file download box flashes like crazy. OS is Win98SE. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tygergal

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- I think you may have a good reason to download and run SpyBot- could be some nasties you have doing this- and then, it could be a download manager of some sort- do you recall getting anything like Download Wonder to "organize" or speed up downloads?
    SpyBot is here: http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html

When you install it- go into the Settings, you can uncheck the categories under File Sets.....User Tracks and System Internals...they are just the user history logs, cookies, etc. The items it automatically checks in RED are what you need to remove.
    Here's a direction page, from one of the threads here. Scroll down the page--under Spyware Tools, Info, and good luck!

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854/s.html

While you are at the Lurkhere site....they also have the StatupList program that the experts here find helpful to see what the heck is messing around with your computer....:cool:

3. Tygergal

Tygergal Thread Starter

I downloaded SpyBot and removed the items that were in RED, But when I downloaded the StartupList. I got the flashing download box. No I don't have anything to organize or speed up downloads. I was surprised that I was able to download the the SpyBot. Thought I'd get the flashing box.

4. Byteman

Hi- Well, I have looked all over and cannot even find anything on a symptom like your computer has. Hang on, perhaps someone will recognize the flashing download box problem and be able to help. Keep trying to get the StartupList posted...will help us a great deal. Post the entire logfile it gives you if you can ever get it downloaded....perhaps, put it on a floppy and install it on the problem computer, and post the results that way.
    Have a few questions:
    1. Do any error or other messages appear when this happens?
    2. Do you mean the whole box flashes...or, is it the icon down in the taskbar, in dark blue?

3. Virus scanned lately? Anything found, or quarantined?

5. Tygergal

Tygergal Thread Starter

Tried downloading the StartupList several times. Still no go. I did a virus scan today. No problems were found. No other errors or messages appear when the box flashes. When the box flashes, the whole box flashes and the dark blue bar at the top flashes as well. There is only a round globe to the top left and a file folder to the top right. Rest of box is blank. When this happens, I can't close out anything cause of the flashing. I don't know if this could be the problem or not. I've been having this multicolored screen that appears before the ok to shutdown screen. Tried a different monitor and video card. Thinking it was one them causing that multicolored screen. But it still comes up. No clue what could be causing that. I think I did a post here on that too.

6. Byteman

Hi, Read through this page, does it sound like your problem?

http://www.osha.gov/html/download-problems.html

It describes something you can do to help with downloads.

You might also try- emptying Temporary internet files.
    (Use Disk Cleanup, from Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup. Watch the check mark in Recycle Bin- there may be some things in there you did not mean to throw out.
    The TEMP files are safe to delete, as long as not dated the same day you are doing this.
    Delete all Temp Internet files, run scandisk and defrag.
    Also- do you have a firewall set up?

7. Tygergal

Tygergal Thread Starter

Read that page and ran disk cleanup, scan disk, and defrag. Still no go. Flashing download box. Z/A for firewall.

8. Byteman

Hi, As I posted before- it is possible for you to use another computer, go online, to the link below, download the Startup List program to a floppy disk, install it (just double click it) in the one with the download problem, and copy and paste the results to a reply in this thread. Doing this might allow us to see what is causing your problem.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads.php

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice