Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

File exists but may be damaged?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  acraftylady 
#1 ·
I have a problem opening picture files. I had my computer cleaned up and they put everything into a back up file. Since this occurred I cannot open my previous picture files. It reads File exists but may be damaged. Can you help me figure this out, since the Computer store can't help. I am not sure if I also have to change the file format as the computor can't read the format. I have some exremely important pictures on there and I hope I have not lost them for good.

#2 ·
What sort of 'picture' files? Jpeg? What are you using to view them?

Make sure you can see what file extension they have by unchecking the 'hide file extensions for known file types' in windows explorer (Tools - Folder Options - View)

There are plenty of very good free Image viewers around (Irfanview is my preferred), try installing that and opening the files.

#5 ·
kmroth said:
I have a problem opening picture files. I had my computer cleaned up and they put everything into a back up file.
I need a better understanding of the problem.Who is 'they',that 'cleaned up', what did they do to clean it up, what backup Program was used, what kind of backup file are your pictures in, (filetype ?) What steps have been taken to retrieve the pictures from backup ? Can you view any of the photos in any way ? What programs are you using to view them ?

#6 ·
Hi, "they" is the local computor store. The back up file was deleted after the picture file was moved into Documents. The files are in jpg. The program was originally Canon X browser,or Arcsoft. We have changed the file in properties a few times to see what could open it, but nothing. I am just about to give up. We cannot view any pictures from post back up file. I have installed Irfanview and the properties have also been changed to this, but nothing again.

#7 ·
The place where you had this done should be responsible to have it working right. Are you saying they backed your stuff up but now they can't tell you how to fix it so you can access the back up file? That does not seem right at all and I would make a big complaint. I would not dream of dropping my computer off for anyone to work one without backing up all important files and photos on to CD myself.

#8 ·
I completely agree with acraftylady. If I were you, I would go back to the computer store and demand that they fix your problem. (It would not hurt to mutter 'Better Business Bureau','legal action', 'lawsuit' etc.) If they can't or won't fix it, You should consult a lawyer. Your pictures have value, and you ought not suffer their loss without compensation.

#9 ·
People really need to back up their files on a daily basis or clone the hard drive or something if files are that important. People need to realize the importance of backing up files. I would never trust a shop to do it while it's in for repair. I have recently decided to make a 3rd back up CD of all my photos and leave it at my Mom's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.