File Exists but may be damaged

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dancingqueen

I have these pictures on my computer that I just cannot open. I am not exactly sure why they would be damaged. The only thing I can remember doing is copying these files to a CD. I cannot locate the CD to get better copies or anything. Is there a way to restore them??

Thanks

You will have to be a little more specific
what is the extension of the files? (.jpg, .txt, .gif etc)?
what is the size each of those files?
what programs have you tried to use to open them?
If one of those files is less then 200KB then attach one to your message so we can try to view it.

dancingqueen

They are a JPGs and AVIs. I have tried opening them with Kodak Easy Share, Ulead Photo Explorer, Adobe Photoshop, and Windows Fax and Viewer. They range in size from 1.20 MB to 1.40 MB for the JPGs and around 17.0 MB-94 MB for the AVIs.

I am not sure what help you are specifically expecting, apart from the confirmation that (from your own good troubleshooting attempts) the files are indded corrupt.

Possibly a disk sector or two or simply a glitch in a read/write operation on adjacent sectors, nothing to do with accessing the images could be the cause.

Countless reasons really, but any data not backed up to at least to off-computer media is data that you don't care about losing.

The HDD and what it contains is about the most vulnerable and failure prone item in a PC.

Without knowing the operating system, file structure or anything about the PC makes it even more difficult, but why not accept the offer above and attach a smaller image to see if it can be rescued. In the meantime copy what is there to a CD "just in case".

what exactly happens when you try to open one of the jpg's? does it give an error message, if so, what does it say. have you tried playing one of the AVI's in windows media player or other player? And how did you originally transfer the files to your pc and where you ever able to open them?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online