1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Explorer Crashes!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by southernguy, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. southernguy

southernguy Thread Starter

I am having problems with Windows Explorer crashing whenever I attempt to modify (create or delete) a folder. I can create and delete folders through an MSDOS window but Explorer crashes when I try through it's interface or through an application's interface (ie File, Open, Create Folder icon). When attempted through and application, there is no warning message; the application just disappears. In explorer the "Explorer.exe has generated errors ..." message shows.

I lost my W2K cds during a move so a repair is not possible. I am up to date on all SP, AV, etc. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

3. southernguy

Thanks for the reply. Although I have W2K instead of XP, I read the article and attempted to apply what it said to W2K. When scanning there were some files that it said must be installed. As I mentioned, I lost my W2K CDs during a move. Is there anything else that anyone can think to try? Thanks again.

4. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html

Go here and download SpyBot Search and destroy and AD-Aware SE
    UPDATE and do a scan with both of them . Do a scan and get rid of all they find

Do a scan with Housecall and Panda

After doing ALL the above

Download Hijack This 1.99.0 Do a scan and post the log here please

5. southernguy

Ok, I made sure my McAffee was up to date and performed a system scan. Also downloaded/updated SpyBot Search & Destroy and AdAware SE and ran both of them. I then ran a full system scan on HouseCall and on Panda. A couple of issues were found. I restarted my system because all of the above took around 12 hours and it was dragging somewhat. I ran HiJackThis 1.99 and it appears to get to the end and gives me a similar error .. "HiJackThis.exe has generated errors and will be closed ...". Yesterday I ran the older version of HJT and it ran fine. It wasn't until I upgraded to the 1.99.0 version that it crashed. Any suggestions how I can get the log file?

6. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

If you still have 1.98 send us a log using that .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!