1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File explorer, one corrupt folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Techpool, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techpool

Techpool Thread Starter

Aug 30, 2012
    I'm having an odd problem on a customer machine, for which my Google-fu has reached its limits.

There is one specific folder in the Documents library, which when opened directly (like from a shortcut on the dekstop) only shows "corrupted" files with unusable strings for all file names and extensions.
    However, when opened in tree view, the files appear as they should. So at least it's reassuring that the folder contents are still there and can properly be read and changed. But the issue is still inconvenient and worrisome.

I have already tried chkdsk /f on the partition and even mirrored the whole volume to a new harddrive, but that didn't help. I also tried copying the whole folder to another location, it shows up just fine that way as well.

Now I am out of ideas how to fix the problem or to make a proper diagnosis. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. ETech7

Aug 30, 2012
    Did you try to create shortcuts to that folder in other locations (not on Desktop)? Try to rename the folder and create new shortcut.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067062