1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file extensions error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Amonolee, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amonolee

Amonolee Thread Starter

As a beginner with an old desktop tower using Windows xp, I have been scanning photographs with a Epson CX8400 into the "my pictures" folder.
    When I try to put a caption below the photos a window opens and says that I if I change the file extension it will elimate the photo.
    And it does. Every link to "rename photo" produces that same message.
    Will it mess up my other computer files if I follow the instructions I read elsewhere to go to control panel and uncheck or change file extensions?
    Is there any other means of getting the captions written without the "extensions error" notice coming up?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're renaming the picture file, not adding a caption. You have to add a caption using some type of photo editor.

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. paisanol69

paisanol69

trying to do is actually add text, or a caption to your scanned photos, then you should try the advice of Hughv and/or DoubleHelix, as given in the last 2 replies.

Since you started out saying..
    I have a sneaky feeling that all you are trying to do is re-name your scanned photos/images on your computer. If that is the case, then when you "right click "on the image file name, and select the re-name option, the entire file name becomes highlighted, and if you start tying a new name, then the ENTIRE old file name is deleted, including the file extension. I think this is why you are getting the warning message...

If all you want to do is rename the photo, then after you click on the rename option, put your cursor at the beginning of the old photo name, and retype the new name you desire, while deleting the old name. BE SURE that the file extension is not changed ( that will be the letters behind the period, following the old file name ) it will look something like this

xxxxxxxx.jpg

the black x's being the file name, and what I have colored red, will be your file extension.

Best of luck!!:D

OH, and by the way, WELCOME to the TSG website!!!

5. Amonolee

Amonolee Thread Starter

I eppreciate your assistance and will try what you have suggested.

6. paisanol69

paisanol69

please let us know how it turns out and tell us what fixed your problem. Another thing, if one of the above solutions helps you, be sure to come back and mark your thread "solved" since that may help someone else in the future!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice