1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Extensions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gond13, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gond13

gond13 Thread Starter

I previously could drag a .msg or .pdf file into a folder and name it. When i would name it i did not need to add the .msg or .pdf file. Does anyone know how to drag and name a file and have the extention automatically recognized?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    The easiest way is to check "hide extensions for known file types" in Tools > Folder Options > view

3. gond13

gond13 Thread Starter

That's the response i've been given alot but it doesn't change anything. Maybe i'm not describing my problem well enough. If i have an email from outlook and i drag it into a folder i can name it, for example, email from joe.msg or if i had an adobe document i could drop it in the folder and name it document.pdf. When i named it though i did not have to add the .msg or .pdf it would automatically recognize the document. Now if i drop and name something without adding the .msg i get an error message saying if you rename this file it will be corrupt.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows couldn't have automatically assigned an extension because there's no way it could know what you wanted it to be. You must have had file extensions hidden before. Now you don't. So when you rename the file, the entire file name including the extension is being replaced. Just change the part of the name before the extension.

5. gond13

gond13 Thread Starter

I hear ya. That's what i'm doing now but i know for certain as do other co-workers that we were able to name a document, hit enter and windows would add the file extension. Obviously it's just an extra step that takes a second but the conveinence before was nice. I appreciate the response though.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Can you rename any files (not just when moving them) without adding the extension?

T. :)

7. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Are you only talking about dragging from outlook then, and Not renaming files within Windows Explorer?

8. valis

valis Moderator

you can rename any file to whatever extension you wish. Whether or not it will function as it should, however, is pretty much in doubt.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows can't read a user's mind, so there simply no way it can add a file extension.

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

If it's a known file type and Folder Options are set to hide extensions, it should automatically add the correct extension for that file type.
    That also applies to saving E-mail attachments using the "Save as". It should only be necessary to type the desired name and Windows will add the correct extension.

I'm curious if the OP is able to Rename any files without typing an extension.

T. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!