1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File folder properties won't display

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nigelum, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nigelum

Nigelum Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my SpywareBlaster software from 2.0 to 3.0 and now I can’t access menu options on any file folder on my Windows XP Pro. I know that it added, or changed or added a registry key, but I don’t know where to go in the registry to look for the problem. I know that the file folder is a “class”, but I don’t know the extension. If I highlight any file along with a file folder, I will get a drop-down menu, and can use my choices in the “File” menu in Windows explorer. This problem happened after I installed the software…I did not do a spyware check and I realize that some spyware software will think that the registry key is spyware, but this is not the case, since the problem only occurred after I installed the software. I have Norton Systemworks and several registry cleanup/repair utilities and I’ve tried them all, with no success. I’ve run a system file check and system restore (before the software install), but with no success. I am spyware free and virus free. I have tried to do an “upgrade” on a Windows XP install, but no success. I know that the next possible solution would be to do a clean install, but I would like to try and avoid that, if at all possible. It’s more a matter of incontinence, since my OS and other programs work perfectly and the startup/shutdown doesn’t yield any stop errors. :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm a little unclear about what you lost. Do you mean nothing happens when you click File on the menu bar in an open folder?

3. Nigelum

Nigelum Thread Starter

Sorry about that...If I right-click on a folder, nothing happens and I have to end the process in the task manager (I get a "Not Responding" message), and the same is true if I highlight a folder and click on "File" in the menu.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe I'm just dense :D

That hanging is probably not due to any registry change. Policy enforcement would only give you no result or a dialog box explaining the policy. But check them, anyway.

Go to Start > Run, and type:
    gpedit.msc
    OK

Find:
    User Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer. Look down the column on the right. By default, all these items are Not Configured. If any have been changed (and you don't want them that way), double-click them and change them back to unconfigured.

You may need to reboot for any changes to be applied.

5. Nigelum

Nigelum Thread Starter

I took a look at the settings and none are configured.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What process in TM do you need to end when you get the hang? Explorer or something else?

Have you uninstalled SpywareBlaster?

Just for another perspective on malware, try downloading, installing, updating with the most recent definitions, and running AdAware:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adaware.html

7. Nigelum

Nigelum Thread Starter

I did the uninstall thing first off...the folder problem was still there. I ran updates on Spyblaster Search and Destroy and Ad-aware 6.0 and did a scan...still the same problem.

Have I comfoulded you yet.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Pretty confounded, I must admit. But maybe there is something in that context menu that doesn't belong there or was deleted and left an entry behind.

So, try ContextEdit. Scroll down until you see "Folder" and "File Folder" and look to see if there are any entries in the menu that you don't want/need/have any more. Possibly turning them all off temporarily and returning them one by one would narrow it down.

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilfile/cnxtedit.zip

Another thing that can greatly slow down the menu is too many entries in the Send To menu.

Look in the Documents and Settings\<username>\SendTo folder and delete anyhting there you don't want/need/have any more.

9. rude

rude

10. Nigelum

Nigelum Thread Starter

Sorry guys, none of the suggestions worked, but I have bookmarked the site...thanks "rude", and I"ll have another tool to use...thanks "Elvandil". I'm wondering if explorer.exe could be corrupted in some way. The shell hasen't changed at all when I try to bring up the drop-down menu on my folders. In some instances I"ll have to quit explorer.exe to unlock the process. Like I wrote before, the problem is system wide...that is, it dosen't matter if I log on to another account, the problem still persists.

I thank you all for you help. Maybe this can be a small project for the tech people that are much smarter than I. I've tried all my tricks.

11. rude

rude

Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!