1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file format

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mckaydmac, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mckaydmac

mckaydmac Thread Starter

using winmx i download music. Recently i downloaded a program I would like to install, but it is in mp3 format,How do I change it ,so i can open it

2. Nothingface

Nothingface

just rename it..take off .mp3 and put in .exe

that should do it.

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi mckaydmac

You don't install or open an mp3 - you just play it

Do you mean you want a program to play mp3's

4. Nothingface

Nothingface

I think what he means is that he downloaded a program, but it's renamed as an mp3 file..so it won't play music..i think it should be renamed to an exe file.

5. mckaydmac

mckaydmac Thread Starter

How do I get the mp3 format changed to .exe format

6. Nothingface

Nothingface

rename the file. right-click the file, click rename, then delete the mp3 part, and put in exe. the file should be (filename).exe

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

You can't change .mp3 format into .exe format - it's like trying to change fire into water

It is either an mp3 or it is an exe

If you know it is an .exe file that has the wrong extension (mp3) then just change it back like Nothingface says

8. mckaydmac

mckaydmac Thread Starter

Ok, I renamed it by cutting out the words mp3 at the end of the file name and that turned it into a zip file. I unzipped it and place it all in a file. But still could not upgrade my program. I gave me an error message, which told me the upgrade had been cancelled because no qualified product had been detected. what a bunch of bologny!!!!! I am trying to upgrade my roxio Cd Copier program. How hard can that be??? I appreciate the help!!! Do you give up?

9. Nothingface

Nothingface

Make sure its the right update..some programs let you update from a specific previous version. I would uninstall the roxio program then reinstall it. and then run the update you downloaded.

10. steamwiz

steamwiz

"The ****.exe file is not a valid previous version and could not be updated"

Is this the error message ?

If it is you probably have an OEM version which can't be updated

An OEM version is one which came with the computer

It will need to be a bought retail version to be able to update it

steam

11. Nothingface

Nothingface

if it's oem, you can probably still update..just go to your computer's manufacturer site and look around for updates

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice