1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file format

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by free4, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. free4

free4 Thread Starter

I have messed up something on my computer. When I put my jump drive in, many of the files will not open correctly. I am using windows xp. I was told to reset folder options to default, this did not hellp. I was told to do run, cmd, sfc.exe /scannow and put my windows xp cd in. I did, it took about 45 minutes. It then wanted me to put in cd#2, professional something. I do not have 2 CD's, so I tried my microsoft office professional cd, and nothing has changed. I tried system restore to where it was working OK, no success. I do not know how to fix or use my flashdrive, when I put my flashdrive in another computer, it sometimes asks me what program I want to open it with. I do not know, as I have several pictures, powerpoints, and word documents on this flashdrive. I think it has to do with the settings on this computer, which is the computer I use all the time, and print from. Any suggestions?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

[​IMG] and welcome to the Forum

Do other flash drives wrok ok in the PC? I'd get a new Flash drive . .

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What exactly happens in what order when you first insert the drive?

Drives do not need any program to open them. They have no association, or at least, shouldn't. Try restoring the unassociated state with Unassociate (unzip and run the file inside)

4. free4

free4 Thread Starter

When I put my jump drive it, I click open folder to view files.
    After I do this, it says choose program you want to open this file:
    followed by list such as adobe reader 9.3, microsoft office word, windows media player. etc.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

And this all happens when you first open the folder and before you have clicked on any file to open it?

6. free4

free4 Thread Starter

I think I have fixed it so I can at least use it. I am now able to open the flash drive. When I put it in, it used to open as a flashdrive, now it opens with a folder icon. I can't double click it to open it. I have to go to explore, but at least I can use it. I guess this is as good as it gets. Thank you for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice