1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'file in use' error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cynestria, Dec 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cynestria

cynestria Thread Starter

I was going through my mass of stuff, deleting the files (mostly video clips) I don't need any more, and one of them said it was still in use. the specific wording was "it is being used by another person or program. close any programs that might be trying to use the program and try again." So I closed everything. Tried again. Same error message. I rebooted, tried again, same error. How do I get this thing off my computer?

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Boot to Safe Mode and see if it will allow you to delete it from there. Also, what's the file extension please? Avi or Mpeg? ther's an issue with avi's and Win XP.

3. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite

I get the same prob. safe mode doenst' even delete them. I have to boot up on a win98se startup disk and delete the files in DOS. The files are avi. I download movies off imesh and watch them with WMP, then after, I cant' delete them. Whats the issue with XP and avi? Is there a workaround without rebooting to DOS?

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Yes. there is a trick. It involves using Task Manager to end explorer.exe and using the command prompt to remove the file. Then restarting Explorer.exe.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/108645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice