1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File information transfers

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Charna, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charna

Charna Thread Starter

My wife and I are retired and are just begining to learn and enjoy personal computers. We were unfortunately introduced to PCs in those heady days when corporations purchased and plunked new expensive IMB machines on everyone's desk and expected you to someone become proficient with no formal training provided. So we learned that which was necessary to do our basic work and very little more. It is only now that we are able to find the time to experiment and learn as we progress in this environment.
    My question involves the purchase of a new notebook computer. My wife's old one eventually lost the screen view due to either a monitor failure or video card failure (or so we were told). Since we planned to purchase a new machine anyway. we did just that and she is quite happy with the machine. The only problem we've encountered is that there are some photos saved on the old machine (it works except for nothing coming up on the screen) and we would like to know if there is some easy way for us to copy or move them onto the new maching -- remembering that we are not yet technically conversant.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, I'd buy a USB external case and mount the old machine's drive in it. It'll allow you to recover the photos, and it will be a nice convenient backup drive. If you had a backup drive now, we wouldn't be having this conversation. :)

Since everything is running except the screen, you can connect a CRT or LCD display to the laptop and operate it long enough to backup the photos. Then remove the drive and use it for backup. :D

3. Charna

Charna Thread Starter

Thenk you John Will. We used your second option and hooked up a monitor, then transferred the files needed to a memory stick and onto the new PC. Will also take your advice and set up the old hard drive as a bck up. Thanks, again.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're welcome. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice