1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Merge/Copy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by harryhonda4me, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harryhonda4me

harryhonda4me Thread Starter

Going from one XP machine through another to a new one...using another machine while files from old machine placed on new machine but want to take the files I've been working with and, when there are two files of the same name/type, that the one that's been opened/accessed the most recent be the one left standing in place. Is there such a feature within XP to do this or is their software available? I have much too many to baby sit the transfer. Thanks...while I know a little I also know that I know little!

2. aasimenator

aasimenator

I don't get you!

3. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

harryhonda4me,
    welcome to tech support guy,
    while what you are asking is do-able,
    file merging on and through multiple units,
    is a total nightmare,
    it might behoove you to set up a file server,
    which really is not difficult,
    then the situation becomes almost simplistic,

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Are you using a flash drive to move the files?

Use Xcopy /D Source Destination to copy the files from the flash drive (Source) to the new PC (Destination) in a command prompt. The /D switch (Date) will only replace a file in the Destination if the file from the Source is newer, newer meaning modified more recently. Just looking at a file doesn't change it.

For example, if you copy everything in My Documents on the temp PC you are using to a flash drive, and want to copy them to the My Documents folder on the new PC:

Xcopy /CDS X:\*.* "%userprofile%\My Documents"
    where X is the drive letter of the flash drive as it appears on the new PC.

type xcopy /? in a Command Prompt for all the options. If you are copying an entire directory tree, you'll need to use the /S or /E switch as well.

You can also copy all the files over a network to a temp folder, then use xcopy to merge newer files into their final location.

HTH

Jerry

6. harryhonda4me

harryhonda4me Thread Starter

Jerry, new machine is warming up in the bullpen (getting squared around) and I think that I'll have a crack at your answer in a day or two...Will be coming from a network drive but I think I understand the syntax...I'll also "dry run" it so I have the syntax right...I'll let you know...for now, I would say that the problem is solved...Thanks so very, very much. GAP

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice