1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Migration Wizard Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rikku, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm trying to set up XP here. I got a new hard drive and did a clean install on it, keeping my old *spit* ME hard drive with my info.

XP has this File Migration thingy which seemed really cool, so i just slaved my HD and thought I would run this 'Wizard' on it to suck all the info up and everything would be good...

nope.

I'm not sure how it works, but it wants me to like run a migration disk, or to connect to another pc or network drive. In short, it wants me to have another PC.

Is there any (easy) way around this?!?

Thanks!!:)

2. kramnnim

kramnnim

Are you able to boot to both ME and XP? I guess I dont quite understand the problem...

3. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Basically the File & Setting Migration Wizard wants you to make a boot disk to run on your old computer. It gathers all your info and zips it up into one spot.

Then you run the Wizard from your new computer and it looks out over Direct Cable Connection or on a network for the file it made and imports the setting into your new XP install.

If you upgrade from something else to XP, it probably does the migration automatically.

However, I got a new hard drive and installed XP, keeping my old ME hard drive as slave. The Wizard will ONLY look at DCC, Network, or Removable drives for some reason.

I guess ms never though people would be swapping their hard drives out...

I guess I need to procure another computer some where and do this right...

I was just wondering if anyone had an experience with this 'wizard' and could offer any alternatives...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!