File modified dates changed to 9-11-01

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dcgofish

Got some weird stuff going on, zip files in system.ini shell, date modified ona bunch of old downloads is now 9-11-01 all at 6:37 pm. Now there are several program files with dates changed to 911 too, printmaster, notepad.exe ect.
Have run McAfee and Housecall, no virus' found.
Getting a self extractor header corrupt message at boot, because of the zip file in .ini Ran CIH_kill with no results. Also had one instance of the fleeing icons on the desktop like what Berhle described earlier. Any ideas, am on my way to get Norton 2002. Thanks DC

Very odd. You might want to give us a look at your startup profile using the StartupLog.com file available below. We need to see the StartupLog.txt (not stubbpaths.txt). Just select the whole file for a copy\paste to your next post.

I'm giving you the link for the unzipped version in case your zip program is corrupted.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Only_IE.html

It won't be the first time we've found things that the antivirus programs miss, particularly if it is a trojan-related issue.

A trial version of Moosoft can also be run to detect and remove trojans -- but it doesn't catch everything either.

http://www.moosoft.com/

Rats, you've lost regedit so we can't really see what we need to. There is some unidentified bugger that may be deleting both regedit and msconfig (same issue on another board).

From start, run msconfig Does it open?

First task is to restore regedit.exe It looks like you have Win98, so go to start and run the System File Checker to extract a new copy of regedit.exe

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

Restore regedit.exe to the c:\windows folder

Once you get it restored, rerun the Startuplog.com and repost the results (delete the previously posted to save thread lenght)

=================
You might want to remove this line from system.ini even though it is remmed:

;Rem TShoot: shell=explorer.exe tennesse.exe

You can just run system.ini from start to have it open in Notepad

dcgofish

Msconfig did run, past tense.... I have had a disaster setting up Norton AV2002. Was testing the emergency norton boot disks, and got and invalid system disk error when C was accessed.I guess it doesnt matter how I got here but all I can do now is boot to dos, and all i show on my C: with a dir is files( probably system) and no directories, the file names appear as single characters/symbols with file size ect listed ok. D: looks ok (drive was installed under 95 as 2 2gb drives.) Boot disks, rescue disk get to "starting Win 98" then hang or return to a>. is my stuff gone or (Ihope) is there something making it just look gone? Dir shows 1.9 Gb available!
Backing up some, Norton quarantined scanreg.vbs as soon as I started install then resumed.
Win 98 boot disk wont set up the CD, Where can i get a dos driver for a toshiba 32x cd rom, I'll have to have one to do any reinstalling. DC

dcgofish, sorry I missed your follow-up yesterday. The drive really looks hosed. Possibly the master boot record is corrupted.

But unless there is something wrong at the motherboard or BIOS level, you should be able load a boot disk. Can you enter BIOS setup? If you can load a startup disk, enter: fdisk /status and see if your partitions add up properly.

Please start a separate topic in the OS forum and summarize your current situation for further advice.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online